Old November 28th 10, 02:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Snow tires?

On 11/28/2010 05:03 AM, BrritSki wrote:
On 28/11/2010 10:31, Richard Henry wrote:
On Nov 28, 12:46 am, wrote:
On 28/11/2010 06:03, Walt wrote:

On 11/27/2010 9:58 PM, VtSkier wrote:

Another trick I used to use in a FWD car was to use the
hand brake to slow the vehicle in slippery going....

Wow, what a great thread, very interesting.

I don't do much driving on snow, but have a Subaru Outback and when I do
meet poor conditions it's great. When I bought it (used) it had new
all-season tyres on and I was surprised how well they lasted.

Finally, I've had ABS on all my cars for at least 20 years and have only
engaged it a handful of times, so I guess I am doing something right

I didn't know you could disengage ABS.

What I meant was inadvertently got into a situation where it kicked in.

Not counting the times when I first got each car and deliberately
triggered it so I knew what it felt like - if you don't, it can come as
a big surprise just at a time when you don't need more distractions !

The ABS in my truck sounds like you've driven over
a "rumble strip" in the road. My truck also doesn't
have traction control, but a car my wife had once
did. That's where my opinion of it comes from.