Old January 20th 06, 12:40 AM

Dave Smith wrote:
...if people honestly think there are more older folks on hills than I
have observed, thinks must be quite different where they ski.

I don't know where you were, but nearly everywhere else it's different.
(I shall now go into lecture mode.)

Let me give you some information (which I expect you already know, but
maybe not assembled thusly.) The baby boomers have hit 60. They are the
largest cohort. They have the most discretionary money. They travel the
most. Their kids are grown and gone. It stands to reason they are the
most common cohort at destination resorts.

Many (most? take a poll?) of us represented in these news groups are
dedicated skiers and live near and ski at big destination resorts. We
see large numbers of baby boomers; We ARE large numbers of baby boomers.

Let me also point out to you that the ski industry is worried about the
very opposite of your observation - older skiers statistically dominate
skiing; there aren't many younger skiers coming along, and that bodes
ill for the future of skiing. Whole BOOKS have been written on the subject.

Possibly you were not aware of the ski industry's concern re the aging
of the skier base?

Possibly you will be greatly relieved to discover that physical activity
continues with little or no slowdown well into the 70s, as illustrated
by the boomer skiers and their near elders who are lighting the way.