Old September 4th 04, 01:59 PM
Ernie

"Martha" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone been to Snowshoe? Is the skiing as good as in the west?

Martha,

Below is my Feb. 2004 reply to a question about Snowshoe.

"We were at Snowshoe on Thursday and Friday, Feb. 19 and 20. There were no
lines before 10:30 on either day, but by 11 on Friday the line on Ballhooter
lift was pretty long, around 2:30 probably 30 minutes. Unfortunately that
is the lift most people have take to get back to the parking lot, to get
lunch, or to the condos.

There are two ways you can avoid lift lines at Snowshoe:

ski/board at Silver Creek -- on the same ticket as Snowshoe, free, rather
haphazard, no-scheduled-times, bus transportation between the two
areas, about 4 miles distance

or

ski/board the Western Territory (black and double black runs) which does
not have the lift lines. But, the services (restrooms and food) are very
minimal on the Western Territory side, so you will have to use either the
bus or the crowded Ballhooter lift.

The Western Territory is by far the best terrain area -- west of the
Pocono's
and east of Denver. In my opinion, Seven Springs has a far better layout
for convenience, but the 1500 feet vertical drop of the Western Territory is
the biggest in the area. If you enjoy ski/board the Western Territory's
two challenging slopes (Cupp Run is black and lower Shay's Revenge with
Volkswagen size moguls is an honest to goodness double-black) then I would
put up with the hassle of back-and-forth transportation. But, if black runs
are not for you, in my opinion, I would look for slopes with more convenient
arrangement and much shorter lift lines for the blue runs.

Regards,

Ernie"