Old November 1st 03, 10:09 PM
Craig

Default Mounting Randonnee Bindings

Hi,

I am going to be mounting a pair of Fritschi Freeride's to Dynastar
Intuitiv's (Inspired by J. Nobis) and had a few basic questions before
I begin.

The Fritschi's came with instructions and a mounting template, the
Dynastars have a 10mm long black mark on the top labelled ø 4.1 (the
first symbol, an "o" with a slash through it, is the greek letter
phi).

The Fritschi instruction's provide 2 ways of aligning the template to
the ski, depending if the ski is marked for the centre of the boot or
not.

Marked for Centre of Boot

Using the template you select the corresponding centre mark on a scale
from 24 to 38 depending on your ski boot length. My boots are 305mm
in length and are a size 26.0 / 26.5. I am assuming I would choose
the 30.5 mark as opposed to the one between 26 and 26.5? In doing so
the scale then becomes the boot's sole length in cm.

Not Marked for Centre of Boot

You measure 1/2 the ski's length from the tail and place the toe mark
of the template at this location.

I used both methods and compared the toe position. The first method
(centre of boot mark) places the toe about 7.5 cm farther forward than
the latter method (toe @ centre of ski's length). Since there is quite
a large difference in position I would like to know if the factory
mark on the Dynastar's is actually indicating the centre of the boot?

My last question is then the label ø 4.1 at the black mark. I am
assuming that it refers to the diameter in mm that the holes should be
drilled for the screws that mount the bindings. This also indicates
(according to the Frtischi instruction's) that the ski has an
integrated steel plate, and once the hole is drilled it should be
tapped. This is a bit confusing to me, as the screw thread is not a
standard machine thread and I am not aware of taps for these types of
threads. Alternatively I show a #12 - 24 threads per inch about the
closest to the screw's major diameter. I tested this in a scrap piece
of metal, where I drilled a 4.1mm hole then ran the tap through it.
The screw seemed to be able to enter just fine. Hopefully this is the
correct method to use.

Many thanks for your time and help.

Craig