Old November 17th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_6_]

Default Ski Insurance

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...
It would appear that www.ski-insurance.co.uk are no longer interested in
old people like me. Their web site excludes people older than their mid
fifties, though I was offered a Fortis annual policy when I phoned them.

On paper (i.e. my PC screen) Insureandgo offer polices at a low price
which do include off piste skiing in areas not deemed unsuitable by resort
management
and without the requirement for a guide.

The only down side with Insureandgo is that there are many bad public
reviews , contrasted by one or two good ones.

Marks & Spencer have a policy that allows you to add unguided off piste
skiing as a option, but it does significantly increase the price.

I don't do that much off piste skiing but there are some runs where the
sides of the pistes are not marked, so if is never clear whether or not
you are on a piste, further I have been know to take a shortcut where for
example, I have gone in the wrong direction.

Anyone got an opinion of Insureandgo or able to suggest an alternative. I
have a one week and a two week holiday booked, (covered by an insurance
policy that does not include skiing risks.)

--
Michael Chare

I've raised the 'between pistes' scenario with various French resort
officials, and generally it seems that simply skiing between pisted runs is
not viewed in quite the same light as 'hors-piste'. "You'll be covered on
your lift-pass/insurance in places like that..", I was told. Where it gets
trickier, understandably, is when you stray beyond the outer limits of the
ski area - you're on your own here, so at your own risk.

If you know where you'll be skiing I'd ask the tourism people (in advance
via the website) for their thoughts - and if you have a Gold VISA card you
might already be covered for winter sports insurance.

Roger
www.mountainpassions.com - Independent, Expert Insight with Altitude