Old December 13th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Buying a board for a gift

Mark wrote:
I would like to buy a snowboard package for a gift to my daughter. She
is new to the sport and has taken a few lessons. She has been boarding
about 8-10 times and seems to be a very fast learner. She isn't a big
risk taker and will undoubtedly not be doing many tricks beyond
grinding. She is sixteen years old, 5' 7" 125 lbs. Her women shoe
size is 10-11 she will probably grow a couple more inches. I don't
want to spend a ton of money, but will buy her good equipment. I'm
fortunate because she doesn't require the "in stuff, or latest stuff").
My concern is weather to buy a mens setup or a women setup because of
her shoe size. Can you mix women boards with mens bindings and boots?
She has told me that step in binding are the kind to get. Anyone with
any thoughts and specific recommendations on what size and what type of
equipment I might want to consider is greatly appreciated.

You should check out the Snowboard FAQ for basic info:
http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ

True step-in bindings -- the kind that require matching metal
connectors in the boots -- are essentially passe for softboot
snowboarding. Resorts use them for rental products, but it's almost
impossible to find new ones available for sale. Most or all
manufacturers have discontinued making them. So, unless you want to buy
used step-in bindings and boots on eBay, stick with strap bindings, or
Flows if you want a little extra convenience.

Joe Ramirez