Old December 16th 04, 04:38 PM
lal_truckee

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2004-12-16, DZN penned:

I don't think you can be sure of how a boot fits until you've had at least a
week of skiing. The may never be comfortable, but I've seen lots of people
say they hate their new boots one week and later say they love them. (I've
observed this phenomenon more with women than men but I'm not sure my
sample size is large enough for that to be statistically significant.)

I agree. Okay, now I realize what I meant to ask!

What I meant to ask is this:

Are there exercises or practice techniques that you use when you get a new
boot to get yourself accustomed to them? I'm thinking stuff like, exercises
you can do on the slope to teach yourself how they might respond differently
from your old boots.

That's what I *meant* to ask.

Presumably new boots will transmit induced forces to the binding/ski
faster and more accurately than your old boots (otherwise, why change?)
Hence there are two issues - comfort and response. Most of the
conversation has focused on comfort - the boots shouldn't hurt; but
there may be a fitting period while the inner boot shifts around to
accommodate the details of your foot. That's reasonable, and the way to
make it happen is to put down some miles - go skiing.

The response issue also makes new boots feel awkward - you may feel as
if you've forgotten how to ski. Be more aggressive - i.e. be as quick as
your boots - they will respond to any twitch, so make the twitches
deliberately, not accidentally. In short order you will be back on top
of things and a better skier.