Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: AES
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 26th 10, 03:40 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 13
Posted By AES
Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

If you whack your boots with your poles (whack the sides of the soles)
to knock snow off the bottom of the boot, my experience is that carbon
poles will rapidly fail, aluminum won't.

Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 25th 10, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 13
Posted By AES
Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

gr wrote:
Is carbon too fragile for backcountry skiing (ie; they break instead of
bend like...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing July 13th 10, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By AES
Ski lift, Five Lakes area, Alpine Meadows CA?

As you hike up the widely used Five Lakes trail in Alpine Meadows,
California, you see a number of towers both below and above you,
apparently intended for a chair lift that, if it were completed,...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing March 15th 10, 01:07 AM Posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 5
Posted By AES
iHikeGPS

Seems to me from the web page description this could be a fabulous
application for iPhone 3G and iPad 3G owners, if it works as described
(haven't had a chance to test it myself yet -- don't own...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing March 18th 09, 09:50 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By AES
Narrow, metal edge, waxless, 157 cm X-country skis?

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Here they are on ebay in Canada:

Forum: Backcountry Skiing March 12th 09, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By AES
Narrow, metal edge, waxless, 157 cm X-country skis?

One of my wife's Fischer Adventure Revolution 157 cm cross country skis
has lost an edge. She's very fond of that particular model and size
(even though what we mostly do is just shuffle along on...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing October 10th 08, 10:20 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 5
Posted By AES
Geographic Feature N of Donner Lake and Truckee?

In article ,
Alun Evans wrote:

However, zooming down to the max extent possible, doesn't show any
visible towers or...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing October 10th 08, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 5
Posted By AES
Geographic Feature N of Donner Lake and Truckee?

In article ,
Bob wrote:

AES wrote:
Standing out very dramatically on Google Maps (Satellite photo tab) in
the region...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing October 10th 08, 02:16 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 5
Posted By AES
Geographic Feature N of Donner Lake and Truckee?

Standing out very dramatically on Google Maps (Satellite photo tab) in
the region immediately N of Freeway 80 between Donner Lake and Truckee
is a long, nearly straight-line feature that looks like...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing July 5th 08, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 0
Posted By AES
Parachuting avalanche rescue dog!?!?

Maybe others have encountered this previously, but new to me:

http://www.gipfeltreffen.at/showthread.php?p=362409#poststop
(you have to scroll quite a ways down)

Photographs and story of several...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing April 29th 08, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 4
Posted By AES
Daily snowfall data, Lake Tahoe?

Dave-in-Spokane " wrote:

Booker Bense wrote:

AES wrote:

I'd like to find a database that contains day-by-day snowfall data for
Lake...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing April 27th 08, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 4
Posted By AES
Daily snowfall data, Lake Tahoe?

I'd like to find a database that contains day-by-day snowfall data for
Lake Tahoe for the past season 2007-2008. My attempts at Google
searching for this have not yet been successful. Any...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing April 8th 08, 12:09 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 4
Posted By AES
Roadside snow stratigraphy at Lake Tahoe

In article 47fa62ac@darkstar, (Eugene Miya)
wrote:

In article ,
Booker Bense wrote:
In article...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing April 3rd 08, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 4
Posted By AES
Roadside snow stratigraphy at Lake Tahoe

Interesting roadside snow stratigraphy (I thought that should be
"stratiography" but Webster's says "stratigraphy") at Lake Tahoe at the
end of this winter.

If you drive along roads where big...
Forum: European Ski Resorts November 13th 07, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.skiing.resorts.europe,de.rec.alpinismus
Replies: 2
Posted By AES
Alpine scenic train ride recommendations?

I'd like to take a 2-day scenic, possibly lengthy Alpine rail excursion
(self-guided, not a commercial tour) in Switzerland the second week in
December with the following boundary conditions:

Forum: Backcountry Skiing May 15th 07, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By AES
Igloo base camp in the Alps

In article ,
Ed Huesers wrote:

Hey All,
A customer sent us a link to a trip report in the Alps:
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 6th 06, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By AES
Going off trail

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

"just a bit beyond dedicated track skis". NNN BC and a compatible light
boot combined with a...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 6th 06, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By AES
Going off trail

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

"just a bit beyond dedicated track skis". NNN BC and a compatible light
boot combined with a...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 5th 06, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By AES
Going off trail

In article ,
Terje Mathisen wrote:

You should probably get a lightweight touring xc ski, definitely not one
of those...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 5th 06, 01:03 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By AES
Going off trail