Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Martin Thornquist
Forum: Backcountry Skiing February 28th 11, 07:06 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 4
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Long adjustable ski poles

[ ]

However I am having trouble finding poles that work.
I use 165cm poles for classic XC skiing, and the longest
adjustable poles I have found are just 145cm at their...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 26th 10, 07:19 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 13
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

[ gr ]

On 11/25/2010 10:27 AM, AES wrote:
If you whack your boots with your poles (whack the sides of the soles)
to knock snow off the bottom of the boot, my experience is that carbon
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 24th 10, 09:31 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 13
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

[ gr ]

Is carbon too fragile for backcountry skiing (ie; they break instead of
bend like aluminum)

I've broken aluminium poles (in two places at the same time, even -- I
hit a tree). I've now...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing July 2nd 08, 07:58 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 1
Posted By Martin Thornquist
the end of the skiing season

Yeah, the skiing season just ended for me, the weekend before last.
Here's a pic from the trip to Stryn (Norway):

http://flickr.com/photos/kgleditsch/2602172316/in/set-72157605754879252/

Stryn...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing May 19th 08, 07:26 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 4
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Anybody home?

[ Eugene Miya ]

Most skis shelved.

But this is on of the best periods of the whole skiing season! At
least in Norway. The snow sticks to the mountain sides (i.e. low
avalanche risk), nice slushy...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing April 2nd 08, 07:03 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic,rec.backcountry,rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 13
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Sledge, Pulk?

[ jeff potter ]

With any kind of heavy load a suspended pole is needed otherwise you
have a wretched sense of starting/stopping all that momentum no matter
what your mode of travel. Maybe...
Forum: Nordic Skiing April 2nd 08, 07:03 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic,rec.backcountry,rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 16
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Sledge, Pulk?

[ jeff potter ]

With any kind of heavy load a suspended pole is needed otherwise you
have a wretched sense of starting/stopping all that momentum no matter
what your mode of travel. Maybe...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing December 13th 06, 07:25 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Going off trail

[ ]

On the knee issue, tele basically out?

Not neccessarily. I have bad knees, I don't dare to run much and going
steep downhill on foot (esp. with a backpack) can be hell, but...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 13th 06, 07:25 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Going off trail

[ ]

On the knee issue, tele basically out?

Not neccessarily. I have bad knees, I don't dare to run much and going
steep downhill on foot (esp. with a backpack) can be hell, but...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 8th 06, 07:28 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Going off trail

[ Ken Roberts ]

Backcountry telemarking is over.
Except in Norway.

For the record, many people in Norway too are switching to AT,
although it hasn't completely killed telemark yet.

Martin
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 8th 06, 07:28 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Going off trail

[ Ken Roberts ]

Backcountry telemarking is over.
Except in Norway.

For the record, many people in Norway too are switching to AT,
although it hasn't completely killed telemark yet.

Martin
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 6th 06, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Going off trail

[ Christos Dimitrakakis ]

So am I a bit confused. I'd like to have, apart from my skating skis, a
pair of skis that can be used relatively well in either a track or
off-piste. Tackling very...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 6th 06, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By Martin Thornquist
Going off trail

[ Christos Dimitrakakis ]

So am I a bit confused. I'd like to have, apart from my skating skis, a
pair of skis that can be used relatively well in either a track or
off-piste. Tackling very...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing September 28th 06, 07:16 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 14
Posted By Martin Thornquist
We're slipping here...

[ Dingus Milktoast ]

Cute, those rsa folks need RESERVATIONS to go skiing. No wonder they
plan ahead.

Some people are in the unfortunate situation of having to plan ahead
to be able to take a...
Showing results 1 to 14 of 14