Showing results 1 to 25 of 100
Search took 0.39 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Ken Roberts
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 15th 07, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 18
Posted By Ken Roberts
Resources for the newly-hooked!

rm wrote
Speak for yourself.

The time has come to acknowledge that "Ken Roberts" has never been
speaking "for himself". "Ken Roberts" is a pseudonym for a secret group of
five current and...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 14th 07, 09:47 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 18
Posted By Ken Roberts
Resources for the newly-hooked!

IronDocBill wrote
roller-skiis for the novice roller skier? Obviously safety is a factor

Once you say "rollerskis" you've already stepped off the road of "obviously
safety". You're well into,...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 12th 07, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Ken Roberts
S-BB the new way to skate up steep hills

The key problem lots of us have with skating is how to not get "burned out"
by the hills. Skating on gentle trails is fun and fast, way better than
Classic
striding -- but throw in some serious...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 9th 07, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 60
Posted By Ken Roberts
new frontiers in slowness

Not all low-gear tricks are created equal.

I tried out "lagging" pelvis/hip rotation versus forward rotation, to see
how large a percentage slower was the lagging-backward move. Rubber wheels
on...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 8th 07, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 60
Posted By Ken Roberts
Hip or Pelvis rotation: which way?

Peter H. wrote
So it looks like you're trying to produce a triple chain ring
(hips forward, square, retarded) to go with the gears
(on the back wheel?) we've already got via different...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Ken Roberts
New video

motion,
rm wrote
Notice how Ahvo (Ride and Glide) uses his torso in poling

I'm in favor of that -- I see the physics of...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Ken Roberts
New video

rm wrote
... the way Demong is digging into his V1, getting all the
pieces together so he can get the most out of each glide
(tho don't imitate his ... stepping

The American coaching tradition...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 04:10 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 60
Posted By Ken Roberts
Hip or Pelvis rotation: which way?

Peter H. wrote
... keep hips as square to the direction of
motion as possible, without destroying
natural athletic movement!

(twisting Peter's words a little spurs me on ... )

** Theory...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 02:51 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 60
Posted By Ken Roberts
Hip or Pelvis rotation: which way?

Peter H wrote
Rather than screw around with two or more versions of your
offset, wouldn't it be simpler, when the hill gets too steep,
just to revert from offset (V1) to diagonal skate?

The...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 01:58 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Ken Roberts
Your all-day tour rig?

Edgar wrote
... skiing "backcountry"and not at a touring center ...
means that you are potentially on your own if you
have a problem.

Actually even at a touring center you could be "on your...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Ken Roberts
Your all-day tour rig?

Edgar wrote
I take it that when you say all-day tour you are skiing "backcountry"
and not at a touring center. Skiing backcountry means that you are
potentially on your own if you have a...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Ken Roberts
Your all-day tour rig?

For long tours using cross-country ski techniques on groomed tracks, I like
to keep the weight low down near my hips -- because then I don't have to
lift it every time I recover my shoulders back...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 03:34 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 60
Posted By Ken Roberts
Hip or Pelvis rotation: which way?

I'm just starting to think that which way to rotate the pelvis or hips is
like a selection of which gear on a bicycle. Perhaps especially when
climbing up a hill, "forward" rotation is like a...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 6th 07, 12:53 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 7
Posted By Ken Roberts
What a day

Anders wrote
what does it tell us about the sport and the event
when someone as young and inexperinced as she
can reach the podium

One possible explanation is that the leading European teams...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 5th 07, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Ken Roberts
Transjurassienne 2007 - pictures

Too bad the snow didn't work out this year for enough km in the Jura. Glad
to see you got to ski at Les Saisies -- they've done pretty well at holding
snow this year. I like their trail design...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 5th 07, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Ken Roberts
Personal ski video clip

One thing technically interesting in that video is that because the camera
is mounted fixed relative to its ski+binding+boot, you can really notice how
the ski _stops_ on the ground for a moment...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 5th 07, 07:59 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Ken Roberts
New video

rm wrote
V1: A bit too much side to side with the shoulders, even a little tipping

I'm not getting how it is that reducing "tipping" of the upper body, or
reducing side-to-side movement of...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 3rd 07, 01:58 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Ken Roberts
New video

John -

I say leave those videos up on your website and we can tell people where to
look to see solid V1 and V2 technique by an advanced racer on a nice snow
day.
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 3rd 07, 06:25 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Ken Roberts
different ways of learning

Jay (Bjorn A. Payne Diaz) wrote
You and I have taken completely different routes to working on
technique. You have video taped your technique, analyzed it, and then
tried to make refinements. I...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 3rd 07, 04:16 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Ken Roberts
New video

Jay -

You sure make it look easy.
http://www.skinnyski.com/tools/videoclip.asp?path=/racing/results/2007/videos/mora2007-3

Here's some observations:
Legs
(1) set-down of foot underneath, in...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 2nd 07, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Ken Roberts
ski northeast Italy

Sharon and I had a very fun week of skiing in Italy.

* Hoch Pustertal area around Toblach and Bruneck was excellent.

* Monte Bondone further south near Trento closer to the main highway has
very...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 2nd 07, 09:00 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 8
Posted By Ken Roberts
Touring Centers near Burlington

I will third the recommendation of Sleepy Hollow.

joeconn4 wrote
Sleepy has a good variety of terrain although "rolling to hilly"
would be my description as I really can't think of any of
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 2nd 07, 08:48 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Ken Roberts
Bad glide on classic skis

Edgar wrote
By keeping my weight on my heels and lifting up at the
toes I could speed up my glide.

Yes I think that's a helpful technique with most classic skis, for reducing
the frictional...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 2nd 07, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Ken Roberts
Cogne, Italy

I visited Cogne a few days ago and had an interesting day of skiing --
despite some of the trails being closed (some of their hillier World Cup
race trails were closed and any trails below the main...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 9th 07, 02:29 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Ken Roberts
Cogne, Italy

Glad you're checking what I'm saying, Parham. It occurs to me that driving
all the way up to Passo Lavaze might be substantially more than just like
driving from SF to Royal Gorge.

And the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 100