Showing results 1 to 25 of 40
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Peter Clinch
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 26th 10, 09:42 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 13
Posted By Peter Clinch
Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

gr wrote:

And.... no, I don't use the adjustable poles

I typically use one-piece Swix Mountains, which are pretty bombproof...
but it's at /least/ as much to do with the grip, basket and spike...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 25th 10, 11:27 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 13
Posted By Peter Clinch
Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

gr wrote:
Is carbon too fragile for backcountry skiing (ie; they break instead of
bend like aluminum)

I would guess that all else being equal a carbon pole would be slightly
less dependable,...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 14th 10, 09:19 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 7
Posted By Peter Clinch
Pieps avalance beacons

Champ wrote:

Surely, if you ski backcountry by yourself, then a transciever isn't
going to do you a lot of good unless someone else happens to be around
when you get avalanched. We all know...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing March 16th 09, 09:12 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Clinch
Narrow, metal edge, waxless, 157 cm X-country skis?

AES wrote:

Anyone have a pointer to a narrow, metal edge, waxless, 157 cm X-country
ski of any brand, new or used?

That's shorter than anything I've seen (though the supply in the UK...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 11th 08, 09:21 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 7
Posted By Peter Clinch
Hut to hut skiing across Hardangervidda in Audubon magazine

David Dermott wrote:

The Nov 2008 issue of Audubon magazine has an article
about hut to hut skiing across Hardangervidda (Norway). An online
version is he

Forum: Nordic Skiing November 11th 08, 09:21 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic

David Dermott wrote:

The Nov 2008 issue of Audubon magazine has an article
about hut to hut skiing across Hardangervidda (Norway). An online
version is he

Forum: Backcountry Skiing April 8th 08, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Clinch
cracked bales on Rotefella Super Tele 3 pins

Chris Townsend wrote:

Sounds like a dud pair. I was out a few days ago on a pair of "rock "
skis with those bindings dating from 1987! The bindings are still fine.
They must have had many...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing April 8th 08, 01:27 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Clinch
cracked bales on Rotefella Super Tele 3 pins

just had to alter a tour quite a bit when my wife's Rotefella Super
Telemark 3 pin bindings failed within a few days of each other. They
were being used on fairly normal nordic tourers (Morotto...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing December 19th 07, 08:46 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 12
Posted By Peter Clinch
strap-ons

Booker Bense wrote:

I think the OP would be a lot better off switching to
a different boot maker. Not everybody has alpina shaped
feet, the other XC boots have a significantly different fit....
Forum: Backcountry Skiing March 11th 07, 05:40 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 12
Posted By Peter Clinch
Telemarking on Non Fluffy Snow

_Uli wrote:

Mike, don't you think that's a little bit too much theory?

Well, it was pretty heavy, but better have the theory behind you as
something you can refer to.

For me, the best thing...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing February 20th 07, 08:46 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 12
Posted By Peter Clinch
Telemarking on Non Fluffy Snow

shields wrote:
It could be your gear. An upgrade may be what you need.

You can generally upgrade gear /and/ skills. A friend of mine who's a
BASI coach can out-ski me downhill if he's on...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing February 14th 07, 08:30 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 12
Posted By Peter Clinch
Telemarking on Non Fluffy Snow

EdV wrote:
I went to practice telmark turns on the green runs at Afton
Alps(Hastings, MN) last Sunday and didn't feel like I had I was
getting enough edge to feel in control. It was around 10...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing January 22nd 07, 08:44 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 1
Posted By Peter Clinch
mounting bindings to fischer skiis

gbgustav wrote:
I just purchased a brand new set of fischer src skate skiis and
bindgins at a killer price - the store was going out of business and
would not mount them. I figured i could get...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing December 13th 06, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

DL wrote:

On the knee issue, tele basically out?

Depends exactly what the problem is: "bad knees" covers a lot of bases.
Mine are pretty dodgy but I find for my particular values of "pretty...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 13th 06, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

DL wrote:

On the knee issue, tele basically out?

Depends exactly what the problem is: "bad knees" covers a lot of bases.
Mine are pretty dodgy but I find for my particular values of "pretty...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing December 12th 06, 09:49 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

DL wrote:

I'm leaning toward 2 pr skis.

Only 2? it's just not trying... ;-)

1 light pair for similar desires as OP and
touring with GF + 1 heavy pair to basically replace alpine gear for...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 12th 06, 09:49 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

DL wrote:

I'm leaning toward 2 pr skis.

Only 2? it's just not trying... ;-)

1 light pair for similar desires as OP and
touring with GF + 1 heavy pair to basically replace alpine gear for...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 20th 06, 09:44 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Clinch
Some wicked backcountry boarding in the Scottish Highlands

geoffers wrote:

Yeah - had 2 great tours in March and late April -

Have a look at these if you're interested

http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,183
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 13th 06, 08:45 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 3
Posted By Peter Clinch
Some wicked backcountry boarding in the Scottish Highlands

geoffers wrote:
Who says there's never any snow in Scotland...

Not me, last year was the best for snow here since the Foot & Mouth
outbreak that made access for touring a Total Pain...

It would...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 9th 06, 08:49 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 64
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

Ken Roberts wrote:

So I just find my 3-buckle
more fun -- and after all that's really why I'm out touring.

That's really the nub. Part of the reason I ski tele is I find teles to
be the way...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 8th 06, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Replies: 64
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

Ulrich Hausmann wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 07.11.2006, 09:03 +0000 schrieb Peter Clinch:

Light for a plastic telemark boot, certainly, but there are no genuinely
light plastic telemark...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 7th 06, 09:58 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

AES wrote:

As a matter of curiousity, why does NNN BC exist, or why did it come
into being, in competition with 3 pin bindings?

I suspect it's related to the fact that we've been told for many...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 7th 06, 09:58 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

AES wrote:

As a matter of curiousity, why does NNN BC exist, or why did it come
into being, in competition with 3 pin bindings?

I suspect it's related to the fact that we've been told for many...
Forum: Backcountry Skiing November 7th 06, 09:12 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 64
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail

Ken Roberts wrote:

So now it looks like Peter was claiming that there are lots of places in the
European Alps with interesting ungroomed touring that is suited for NNN BC.
I do not agree...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 7th 06, 09:12 AM Posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 52
Posted By Peter Clinch
Going off trail