Showing results 1 to 25 of 30
Search took 0.88 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Neil Smith
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 4th 09, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 4
Posted By Neil Smith
Compressor Bags

Dear All,
Going Nordic ski touring in Norway. Non-circular route so everything has to
go into the one sac. Any one got any views on Compressor bags and be
prepared to make recommendations?
Thanks
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 2nd 08, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Neil Smith
kids & x-country

Can you get smaller skis - for hire - classes?
"Neil Smith" wrote in message
Dear All,
looking for some ideas on how I...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 1st 08, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Neil Smith
kids & x-country

Thanks for the suggestions and I will be in the Toronto area next year. My
kids are 6+ 9. Can you hire smaller ski's - is there caoching for kids that
age -what about paulks?
"SkiFit"...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 28th 08, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Neil Smith
kids & x-country

Dear All,
looking for some ideas on how I might give my kids some X-country
experience.
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 15th 08, 08:02 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 11
Posted By Neil Smith
Judging Distances U can travel

If it takes me an hour to jog 10K (I wish) how far would I go in an hour on
X-C ( I know, infinite number of variables)
wrote in message...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 14th 08, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 11
Posted By Neil Smith
Judging Distances U can travel

Would any body like to try a guestimate, say 1.5 k X-C to 1K foot!
wrote in message
since one...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 13th 08, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 11
Posted By Neil Smith
Judging Distances U can travel

Not clear about what you are saying although looking at calories might be a
start. What I am looking for is an idea of what sort of distance I could
cove on X-C skis in comparison to what I might...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 13th 08, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 11
Posted By Neil Smith
Judging Distances U can travel

Dear All,
This is a large and vague question with lots of variables. Can you travel
further on skis than on foot. If you can comfortable walk or Jog 10 miles
how far could you travel on skis for...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 12th 08, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil Smith
Dealing with Forest tracks

I will be doing gentile Nordic and am limited to snow plough turns.
wrote in message
On Feb 12, 10:36...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 12th 08, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil Smith
Dealing with Forest tracks

Dear All,
I am off to the Czech Mountains in a few days. Unfortunately the snow is a
little thin in the ground so I may have to move to the Great Mountains,
Harrakov. From the maps it seems if I go...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 12th 08, 11:27 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Neil Smith
Czech Mountains

Dear All,
I am off to the Czech Mountains in a few days. Unfortunately the snow is a
little thin in the ground so I may have to move to the Great Mountains,
Harrakov. From the maps it seems if I go...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 30th 08, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Neil Smith
Czech Mountains

Dear All,
We are off to the Czech Republic, initially Nove Hamy near Krusne Hory, in
the Ore Mountains. I have been watching the snow disappear at this...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 29th 07, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Neil Smith
Snow Czech Republic -?

Dear All,
I am thinking of going to the Czech Republic for some cross-country, in
Moldovia. What will the snow conditions be like? Are there any sites that
will give information on this?
Thanks
Neil
Forum: Nordic Skiing October 29th 07, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Neil Smith
Krusne hory, czech republic

Dear All,
Considering going to the Krusne Hory area of the Czech Republic in
mid-February.
1. What will the snow conditions be like -will there be plenty?
2. The countryside seems to be gentle...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 22nd 07, 09:55 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 5
Posted By Neil Smith
Glide Wax Area

The book was by M.M. Brady and it was published in 1986.
Some mentioned a paper test. What is that?
wrote in message
Actually,...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 21st 07, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 5
Posted By Neil Smith
Glide Wax Area

Dear All,
checking an old book on waxes and it made this recommendation about
determining glide area. You place your fingers behind the bindings and
squeeze the 2 skis together until the gap...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 20th 07, 10:30 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 7
Posted By Neil Smith
Finse + Geilo

Next question - waxing?
"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
I will be in the Finse Geilo area in...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 15th 07, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 8
Posted By Neil Smith
Rex Grip Tape

Rex advertises it as lasting 100's of K's. If it picks up stuff, pine
needles, heather, etc., is it possible to clean this off and leave the tape.
Thanks
wrote in message...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 14th 07, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 7
Posted By Neil Smith
Finse + Geilo

Dear All,
I will be in the Finse Geilo area in the last week of March.
Would it be worthwhile to take a pair of light track skis?
What will the snow conditions be like?
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 13th 07, 04:43 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 8
Posted By Neil Smith
Rex Grip Tape

Interesting Greg, you raise the question of how you clean this stuff. If the
temperature goes above 4 C would you ask wax?
Thanks.
wrote in message...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 12th 07, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 8
Posted By Neil Smith
Rex Grip Tape

Dear All,
Else where made an interesting recommendation to use Rex Grip Tape.
I am attracted by there convenience and that fact that my bases, after many
years rock and heather hoping in Scotland...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 12th 07, 07:16 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 13
Posted By Neil Smith
Advice Norway

Oops! Apologies for the multiple posts.
"Neil Smith" wrote in message
Hm! Skiing on dirty heather is more of an issue in...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 12th 07, 06:55 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 13
Posted By Neil Smith
Advice Norway

Hm! Skiing on dirty heather is more of an issue in Scotland - however in
Norway!!
You have raised the issue of cleaning the tape if it has picked up gunk or
you have applied wax on top of it. How...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 12th 07, 06:50 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 13
Posted By Neil Smith
Advice Norway

"Marsh Jones" wrote in message
Great up to about 4C. Beyond that, you may need to add a little
Red/Orange/whatever...