Showing results 1 to 25 of 28
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: alf
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 31st 08, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 8
Posted By alf
Suitability of new carving skis? Atomic C-9 -v- Rossignol Passion-v- Head Intelligence C160

Walt wrote:

similar: an all around amiable ski for usage on groomed snow. Pretty
forgiving, easy to ski, yet with excellent edge hold and a decent level
of performance if you ask them for...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 31st 08, 03:58 AM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 8
Posted By alf
Suitability of new carving skis? Atomic C-9 -v- Rossignol Passion-v- Head Intelligence C160

Harry Weiner wrote:

Of course I do. I'm an engineer, with a degree from MIT. I just
don't have a way to calculate metric into normal.

Oh, wait... this is a computer.

google for it:
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 17th 08, 04:04 AM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 14
Posted By alf
Why are the Colorado lift tickets so expensive

Charles Jutkins wrote:
I assume its because its the premier area in the US but the California
tickets at the premier spots are still running a little less. Even Copper
and Breckenridge are...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 8th 08, 02:57 AM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 0
Posted By alf
GPS and skiing experiment

Hi,

I have made a simple experiment. Just bought my TomTom One GPS and took
it to mountains in Breckenridge, CO. Enabled recording software and pace
started skiing down at moderate pace on Peak 7...
Forum: Alpine Skiing November 25th 07, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 12
Posted By alf
why it is illegal in USA

Dave Stallard wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
alf wrote:
Hi,

I saw this in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZq3Py4qsA Warren
Miller's "Higher Ground". they say it is illegal in USA -...
Forum: Alpine Skiing November 23rd 07, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 12
Posted By alf
why it is illegal in USA

Yabahoobs wrote:
On Nov 22, 11:04 pm, alf ask@me wrote:
Hi,

I saw this inhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZq3Py4qsAWarren Miller's
"Higher Ground". they say it is illegal in USA - any...
Forum: Alpine Skiing November 23rd 07, 05:04 AM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 12
Posted By alf
why it is illegal in USA

Hi,

I saw this in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZq3Py4qsA Warren Miller's
"Higher Ground". they say it is illegal in USA - any idea why?

thx, A.
Forum: Alpine Skiing October 20th 07, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 6
Posted By alf
Breckenridge on the end of Nov - snow question

thx for all info

twobuddha wrote:

Think Utah.

I was until a good deal popped up: $675 for air fare from to Chicago,
transportation to the Breckenridge, ski in/out in walking distance, 5...
Forum: Alpine Skiing October 18th 07, 01:58 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 6
Posted By alf
Breckenridge on the end of Nov - snow question

Hi,

I am planing a first skiing trip in this year - the opportunity would be
to go to Breckenridge on Nov 21 for 5 days.

But it begs the question since I have never been so early in the season
in...
Forum: Alpine Skiing June 2nd 07, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 1
Posted By alf
Videos at Elan Ski Site

vincent walker wrote:
I was looking at some of these videos and thought that some of you might be
interested-particularly the one about the ski production process (over 8
minutes long).

Forum: Alpine Skiing March 14th 07, 02:29 AM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 29
Posted By alf
can one skis be significantly faster

Walt wrote:

Or your path is more in the fall line?

I followed his track quite precisely. It is also pronounced when I made
deeper turns i.e. distance I skied was significantly longer at greater...
Forum: Alpine Skiing March 14th 07, 01:13 AM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 29
Posted By alf
can one skis be significantly faster

Walt wrote:

New skis with fresh bases and a good factory supplied wax will have less
friction and be faster than old bases. So, yeah, you may be faster.
Which may or may not be a good...
Forum: Alpine Skiing March 13th 07, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 29
Posted By alf
can one skis be significantly faster

Hi,
had a chance to take my new Fisher RX8 to Snowmass/Loveland Co last week
for 4 days. It is pure pleasure and everything what I read was indeed
true, at least to the my level I can verify it...
Forum: Alpine Skiing March 10th 07, 02:41 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 15
Posted By alf
to become a casual skiier

mm wrote:

I wouldn't want a used boot.I can't handle any pain in my feet. I
didn't know that custom footbed can be made. Must eb expensive though.

I made a mistake of buying cheap boots...
Forum: Alpine Skiing March 8th 07, 01:16 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 4
Posted By alf
where can I find rest of the vide with Bode M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KAtSx0SnPs
Forum: Alpine Skiing February 13th 07, 09:48 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 167
Posted By alf
Can I set my own bindings?

Walt wrote:
alf wrote:

Walt wrote:

$60 for a release check? Does that include complementary Champaign and
a shoe shine while you're waiting?

you right, it oncluded mounting ...
Forum: Alpine Skiing February 13th 07, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 167
Posted By alf
Can I set my own bindings?

Walt wrote:

What JQ and Norm said. Although when I had my bindings adjusted,
inspected & tested early this season it was only $15 and took all of ten
minutes. Depends on where you go, I...
Forum: Alpine Skiing February 6th 07, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 5
Posted By alf
insane ski crash vid

The Real Bev wrote:
paul rubens wrote:

don't know how to embed... first vid on this page
http://skibiffs.blogspot.com

titled 'crash at us freeski nationals'.... can't believe he...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 29th 07, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 3
Posted By alf
what would be a Fisher RX8 equivalent of other makers like Atomicand Volki?

Walt wrote:
The RX8 is intednded for advanced and upper intermediate skiers, with a
bias towards on-piste & firm snow. Edge grip on ice is paramount. The
rough equivalents would be the Völkl...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 20th 07, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 4
Posted By alf
advice needed: RC4 WC SL or RX8

Walt wrote:

That said, unless your are racing or going fast *all* the time, the RX8
will probably be the better choice.

As I learn more, I think the same. Thx for the advice.

A.
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 20th 07, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 4
Posted By alf
advice needed: RC4 WC SL or RX8

Marty wrote:
alf wrote:

They are in very good condition although
unfortunately they were sharpened once and edges are not as perfect as
they used to be (can it be fixed?).

Forum: Alpine Skiing January 20th 07, 04:45 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 3
Posted By alf
what would be a Fisher RX8 equivalent of other makers like Atomicand Volki?

Hi,

as I wrote earlier my skiing ambitions is to carve fast and clean.
Simply look for a ski of type Fisher RX8, but also wonder what would be
its equivalent of other makers like Atomic and Volki?...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 20th 07, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 19
Posted By alf
Bode now only 2 WC wins behind Phil Mahre total...

MichaelJP wrote:
"alf" ask@me wrote in message

MichaelJP wrote:

OK, but the argument doesn't really hold up, after all, loads...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 19th 07, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 19
Posted By alf
Bode now only 2 WC wins behind Phil Mahre total...

MichaelJP wrote:

OK, but the argument doesn't really hold up, after all, loads of people
watch motor racing who don't race or even drive fast, likewise motorcycle
racing.

where did you find...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 17th 07, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 4
Posted By alf
advice needed: RC4 WC SL or RX8

Hi,

I repost my question since it probably did not reach most of you (it can
not be found on google groups).

First my skills: even though I am skiing since a kid, I really learned
carving...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 28