Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Lew Lasher
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 18th 08, 02:27 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 7
Posted By Lew Lasher
Whining about WC team suit design and big "smock" bibs...

Chips could replace bibs.

This past Friday, I volunteered for the first time to work at a ski
race. My assignment was to record bib numbers at the finish line. We
had a total of 6 people...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 26th 08, 08:29 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 12
Posted By Lew Lasher
Elevation gain?

wrote:
why not just estimating the elevation gain using a USGS topo map?

That's what I've done, but it's a lot more work.

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe,...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 13th 08, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Lew Lasher
New backcountry race in Vermont

The Catamount Trail Association has announced that they're going to have
a 19-km backcountry race on March 8. The race goes from the Trapp Family
Lodge in Stowe to the Bolton Valley ski area in...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 15th 08, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Lew Lasher
Trip report - Windblown (New Hampshire) - 15 Jan 2008

I skied today at the Windblown ski touring center in New Ipswich, New
Hampshire. Conditions ranged from very good to poor, even on the same
trail, with mostly good conditions, but some spots -...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 9th 08, 03:32 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 55
Posted By Lew Lasher
Serious reviews/discussion of Day Touring gear?

Stop reading if you've got a problem with this thread. Mark it read.
Or filter me out.

Probably not a bad idea, since there hasn't been any new substantive
content in this thread for a quite...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 11th 07, 11:06 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 15
Posted By Lew Lasher
Oslo snow reports

You can also take a look at the home page of the most avid skier in
Oslo, "Milslukern" ("The mile gobbler") Tom Stensaker:

Even more impressive, considering that a Norwegian mile is 10...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 11th 07, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Lew Lasher
Any Maine ski reports...

Steve Hanson wrote:
Any Maine ski reports...especially in Washington or Aroostook County??

I checked the Web site of the Cross Country Ski Areas Association
(www.xcski.org), and that led to the...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 17th 07, 07:57 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Lew Lasher
Trip report - Stowe, Vermont - 17 Nov 2007

I skied this morning on the Mountain Road (Vermont route 108) up to the
top of Smugglers' Notch, at elevations roughly 1550' - 2170'.
Conditions were fair up to the Stowe town line (roughly 1650'),...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 2nd 07, 12:42 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Lew Lasher
Nordic centers in Maine & New Hampshire?

wrote:

I will be visiting both Maine & NH next week and would like to do some
skate skiing while there. Would people give be a few ideas that would
be places I should...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 23rd 07, 01:21 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Lew Lasher
Vermont Ski Report

We got good trail info from the
two friendly men working at the cabin, which offers hot and cold drinks and
candy bars.

The Trapp cabin usually also serves soups and sandwiches, so you don't...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 21st 07, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Lew Lasher
Nordic ski shops in Stowe

Another place to consider is Onion River Sports in Montpelier (exit 8
off of I-89). I've never been there, but their Web site (
http://www.onionriversports.com ) claims that they have "a huge...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 21st 07, 10:57 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Lew Lasher
Nordic ski shops in Stowe

Does anyone
know of a high end (selling racing gear) nordic store in the area of
Stowe?

I myself have never been in the market for high end racing gear, so I'm
not sure I would recognize it. ...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 15th 07, 11:53 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 8
Posted By Lew Lasher
Touring Centers near Burlington

Don't know how close it is to Burlington, but Woodstock Vt has a very
nice touring center

More than an hour and a half. It is a nice place, but, if you're
willing to drive that far, you...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 15th 07, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 8
Posted By Lew Lasher
Touring Centers near Burlington

A very nice touring center that's only about a half an hour away from
Burlington is at the Sleepy Hollow Inn in Huntington (exit 11 on I-89).

See...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 28th 06, 12:17 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 16
Posted By Lew Lasher
Snow dearth in Northeast US, was: Methow Valley or Silver Star areas

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

How nice. While here in the east I'm driving several hours to use
rock skis. Oh joy.

Someone asked where --- in New York State Van Hoevenberg will likely
be...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 25th 06, 09:46 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 28
Posted By Lew Lasher
New to rollerski - what skis to buy?

The Price of using equipment with no brakes.
Brain Surgery $100,000.00 plus.
Knee Surgery.....$25,000 plus.
Lost of time enjoying being outdoors...priceless.

Anyone living in a...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 13th 06, 04:08 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 16
Posted By Lew Lasher
what snow-canons are you using for XC tracks?

wrote:
I was hoping some could name producer names or xc ski resorts that use
canons for xc tracks. I have two to check out but would appreciate
more.

Weston Ski Track, Weston,...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 6th 06, 12:03 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 17
Posted By Lew Lasher
Lake Placid Mini-review

snowyguy wrote:

... Boston has ski trails all through it, if you make it
out as soon as the air clears after a storm. I used to ski right out
of Davis Sq. daily.

I would not lead anyone to...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 5th 06, 07:08 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 17
Posted By Lew Lasher
Lake Placid Mini-review

The Jack Rabbit trail goes right through town. I
had a hard time finding any part of the trail (even though it crosses
roads in several places), except for an entrance in the back of the
Showing results 1 to 19 of 19