Showing results 1 to 25 of 50
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jon[_3_]
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 17th 14, 11:54 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 33
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

Thanks for following up.

Does the study say what their weekly training load was?
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 9th 14, 01:42 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 33
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

Gene:

Thanks for the offer. The first slide on this section is at 27:!6 of the video. Title of study is "Does Polarized Training Improve Performance in Recreational Runners" Journal of Sport...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 7th 14, 01:22 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 33
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

I just watched the video a third time, this time stopping it to examine the charts. An interesting takeaway was one of the last studies examining polarized training in recreational athletes. Under...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 1st 14, 01:08 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 33
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

Yes, I agree high resistance, slow training is great. I guess my response would be better phrased as "how does the casual athlete work on technique while following the polarized model?" (So, again,...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 30th 14, 02:11 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 33
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

Agreed--very interesting.

I always wonder how to translate these type of findings into lessons for casual athlete. And in skiing, seems particularly tough--e.g., if I only get a chance to ski hills...
Forum: Nordic Skiing August 21st 13, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 4
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Fanny pack for a bottle and more

I'm planning on buying this Salomon Jacket with a rear pocket (and plenty of front pockets) for this sort of thing: http://www.salomon.com/us/product/elite-ws-jacket-m.html (and just carry water in...
Forum: Nordic Skiing August 9th 13, 02:29 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 13
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Classic Roller Skis: Swenor v. Ski-Go v. V2

Matt:

I've seen discussions on the tracking issue with the SkiGo somewhere on the intertubes, so you may want to look around. (And I'm assuming BNS could fix them for you.) If you have a strong...
Forum: Nordic Skiing May 19th 13, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Rollerskis: Placement of Wheels and Cutting Bindings...

I've been "struggling" with two questions on setting up roller-skis and would appreciate any input:

- On bindings, consensus seems to be to mount as close to rear wheel as possible (at least for...
Forum: Nordic Skiing May 5th 13, 08:24 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 4
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Pilot "Sport" Classic Binding?

I need bindings for new roller skis and am totally confused at what Salomon now offers for classic. The least expensive option is actually a "Sport" pilot binding that looks a lot like the skate...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 21st 12, 04:12 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Bretton Woods over-rates its snow conditions?

I also just got back from there and agree totally.

Also, you can't tell whether or not it's klister conditions or not,
since it seems no one who works there actually knows anything about
ski waxing...
Forum: Nordic Skiing May 30th 11, 11:02 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Rollerski Race with Most Vertical Climb?

I'm just curious what rollerski hill climb offers the most vertical.
The largest one I could find on the web looks looks to be "Climb to
the Castle" up Whiteface Mountain in New York (2,000 vertical...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 28th 11, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Where in North America is there still good snow?

North End of Waterville Valley in fact does have mid-winter
conditions, after you go up a hundred or so feet. (Top half of
Tripoli Road is mid-winter Rockies condition--really nice.) They...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 7th 11, 07:07 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Quick Way to Increase Pole Basket "Size" in Soft Conditions

I was skiing last week at Mout St. Anne, and with a lot of new snow,
my poles were sinking deep into the snow, so that I wasn't able to
really use my upper body that much.

I know the solution is to...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 14th 10, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Still a Place for "Old School" Double Pole?

*Think of a 90k DP-fest like Mora:
would you rather depend on core/torso or arm/back muscles? *Of course,
no one is doing short, truly explosive strokes every time; one could't
last long that...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 14th 10, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Still a Place for "Old School" Double Pole?

I still feel unsure on the latest thinking regarding double pole
technique. Pete Vordenberg says: "The initial impact of the poles is
when the most force is applied to the poles and it is applied...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 9th 10, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Website / Google Gadget that Sums Up XC Ski Center Conditions?

There's a nice Google Gadget that does this for Alpine areas (you
choose which areas, and it tells you how much new snow, and how many
trails and lifts are open).

Just wondering if there's something...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 9th 10, 02:51 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Ski Related Deal on Suburu's?

deal through any cross-country groups?

PSIA (invoice minus 2%) and National Ski Patrol. *Full Subaru VIP
program list athttp://www.subaru.com/company/partnerships/index.html

Forum: Nordic Skiing December 8th 10, 06:19 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Ski Related Deal on Suburu's?

A few years ago, one of the ski federations / associations was
offering a deal on Suburu's with membership. This is a bit of a shot
in the dark, but wondered if anyone knew of a current, similar...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 27th 10, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Concept2 ski machine

On Oct 29, 7:14*am, PatCote wrote:
I use one and think that it is incredible. *

Pat,

Could you say a bit more about the biomechanics of the machine (how it
feels compared with...
Forum: Nordic Skiing September 14th 10, 06:47 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Seeking Some Info on Camp Mercier

SEPAQ closed the attic two-three years ago (probably because it was
too cheap and a too good solution for the dedicated skier). Since
then, SEPAQ has built some more confortable (and expensive)...
Forum: Nordic Skiing September 6th 10, 09:51 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Seeking Some Info on Camp Mercier

I'm trying to find out if Camp Mecier still has dormitory style
lodging in the attic of the main ski building. (Or...if that's not
possible to find out, a contact phone number for Camp Mercier...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 23rd 10, 09:49 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Olympic XC Ski Humor

On Feb 23, 4:44*pm, Jon wrote:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/100680/5

Another good (satirical) profile:

Kikkan Randall, Cross-Country Skier
Skiing Style: Despite not...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 23rd 10, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Olympic XC Ski Humor

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/100680/5
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 23rd 10, 02:54 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 5
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Has USA Declined Internationally Since Trying to OutsmartEveryone with Technique?

Latest (bad US news) from the Len the Insider:

" According to Zach, the blood sugar problem that Kris encountered in
the 30K can require several weeks for recovery. If that's the case, we
might not...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 23rd 10, 02:29 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 5
Posted By Jon[_3_]
Has USA Declined Internationally Since Trying to OutsmartEveryone with Technique?

On Feb 22, 3:25*pm, wrote:
Len Johnson comments about the burden Kris Freeman, the only U.S.
distance skier of quality, carries as a diabetic. *I would go beyond
that to note how...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 50