Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: user
Forum: Alpine Skiing December 16th 07, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 10
Posted By user
recommendations for new all-mountain skis/bindings

I thing you mispelt your last name. W IE NER is pronounced weener. W EI NER
is pronounced whiner. C'mon Harry, get a clue!

"Harry Weiner" wrote in message...
Forum: Alpine Skiing December 3rd 07, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 12
Posted By user
why it is illegal in USA

Part 105 of the Federal Aviation Regulations prohibits skydiving in such a
way that might endager people or property (the skydiver is, of course,
excluded). The "suits" are not illegal, but...
Forum: Alpine Skiing February 7th 07, 12:53 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 5
Posted By user
insane ski crash vid

Witnessed a similar accident during the same competition at Snowbird.
Related the experience to the group with the question as to whether this was
an ethical sport. Competitor was very badly hurt....
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 23rd 07, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 13
Posted By user
Which ski resort for NERVOUS skier

Consider Steamboat in Colorado. Very forgiving mountain. Lots of blue. Lots
of powder. They have a backside chair that servers a very pretty,
shallow-sloped glade. A nice way to spend a morning...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 23rd 07, 04:17 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 1
Posted By user
Ski holidays in Austria (beginning of March)

Start with St. Anton. Lech and Zurs are next door, but these are celebrity
slopes. St. Anton will keep you busy for a week or more. Get cozy with the
locals to find the best off piste skiing -...
Forum: Alpine Skiing January 17th 07, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 12
Posted By user
Nailed from behind

Diagree...

Park City is OK, but it's a horizontal resort. Spent more time traversing
looking for interesting runs than actually skiing them. Deer Valley is
suburban skiing. The resort is...
Forum: Alpine Skiing December 29th 06, 02:14 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 29
Posted By user
Do I need a powder skirt?

Do you need a powder skirt - NO. Is it nice to have one - YES.

The thread noted that it is difficult to find a jacket with all the
necessary technical accessories. I have been using Schoffel...
Forum: Alpine Skiing December 26th 06, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 1
Posted By user
Avalanche Death at Snowmass

As a follow up, death was a result of asphyxiation secondary to airway
blockage. The victim was found by a skier who witnessed the slide from an
open trail below the slide area. The skier/searcher...
Forum: Alpine Skiing December 7th 06, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 37
Posted By user
Dropping out and "moving to the mountains"

Can't help weighing in, but as a rule, don't like to toss peanuts from the
gallery at life altering choices. I took 10 years off... to pursue a variety
of interests. The upside is that I became...
Forum: Alpine Skiing December 5th 06, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 18
Posted By user
Ok...Well how bout a good shovel...

Bob,

I'm up on the virtues of metal versus plastic, but you've provoked a
question among the ignorant (mainly me). I carry a Ortovox M2 beacon and a
Komperdell 260cm aluminum probe. Are my tools...
Forum: Alpine Skiing December 1st 06, 12:10 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 1
Posted By user
Tuckerman's Ravine

Was considering a trip this spring. Any recommendations on best month, time
of day, weather conditions, etc. to get a good run with minimal traffic?
Link to a related site would also be...
Forum: Alpine Skiing October 30th 06, 11:53 AM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 8
Posted By user
Big Mountain Freeskiing

Yeah, hoping to avoid the sermon, but I guess I had it coming. I participate
in an extreme sport, and believe me, I take offense when the ignorant try to
regulate.

As an active participant in...
Forum: Alpine Skiing October 27th 06, 09:05 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 8
Posted By user
Big Mountain Freeskiing

The WC discussion got me thinking about a conversation I had with a friend
on the Peruvian Lift at Snowbird last February. The Freeskiing Nats were in
progress. As we passed the finish line...

My...
Forum: Alpine Skiing October 3rd 06, 11:00 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 114
Posted By user
Best Automobile made in 1970.

Only if you want to attract 60-year old men for an hour of nostalgia. Great
little car... but I thought the object was to posture for the purpose of
procreation.

OC

Trying to convince the wife to...
Forum: Alpine Skiing October 3rd 06, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 114
Posted By user
Best Automobile made in 1970.

Even better, wear the flannel under the coat. Leave the Nieman Marcus tag on
it. "Oh, just something I picked up on the way here. Do you have a pair of
scissors I could borrow? Hey! They got Hank...
Forum: Alpine Skiing September 22nd 06, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 114
Posted By user
Best Automobile made in 1970.

JP, you need to be more specific. What kind of girls do you want? What age
group?

The best all around babe magnet is a well cared for VW Beetle. Invest in an
upgraded interior (seats, stereo,...
Forum: Alpine Skiing September 22nd 06, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 2
Posted By user
My Annual Request for Early Season Insight

Thanks Walt, much appreciated.

Additional question about PC...

I've only skied Park City once and was disappointed. Seemed like I did an
awful lot of traversing to find decent runs. Finally hooked...
Forum: Alpine Skiing September 20th 06, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 2
Posted By user
Aspen too high? I am 82

I've seen quite a few octogenarians skiing at Alta. It's free, or at least,
it used to be.

You might want to consider supplemental oxygen. No joke. For about a $K, you
can buy an 11 liter (@ 3000...
Forum: Alpine Skiing September 20th 06, 10:55 PM Posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Replies: 2
Posted By user
My Annual Request for Early Season Insight

Been doing this for 15 years now, and many thanks to those who have
responded. A little different format this time round...

Here's my plan. Give me your thoughts.

Late November: SLC - chase the...
Showing results 1 to 19 of 19