Showing results 1 to 25 of 51
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: gr[_2_]
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 27th 13, 04:06 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By gr[_2_]
Early ski wax?

When did grip style ski wax first come into use?

Seems like the first grip was one ski with some kind of animal skin.
Then maybe wooden skis with full length grip wax (is that right?).

So;
when...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 27th 13, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 19
Posted By gr[_2_]
Wet Snow

On 1/26/2013 5:31 PM, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Neil wrote:
fish scales?

No, no!

Fish scales were the original attempt to make "waxless" skis, they have
never worked and I still cringe...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 14th 12, 02:36 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 9
Posted By gr[_2_]
XC ski hints wanted!

On 12/13/2012 10:52 AM, Bob Schwartz wrote:
I bought a couple of those cheap Cree XML lights on ebay this
year as an experiment. So far I'm very happy with the result.
Great light and run time...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 13th 12, 05:36 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 9
Posted By gr[_2_]
XC ski hints wanted!

I had in mind more specific hints such as;
--great products you have found
-ways that work to keeps hands warm
-special wax solutions (I like Start Grip Tape!)
-lights for night skiing
-etc.

Hope...
Forum: Nordic Skiing August 15th 12, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By gr[_2_]
Powder magazine came!

Must mean winter is coming!!
Forum: Nordic Skiing April 28th 12, 05:01 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 7
Posted By gr[_2_]
A taste of Norway!

A series on Netflix, about a gangster relocated to Norway. Lots of
Norwegian culture info and snow..... pretty darn interesting!
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 23rd 12, 10:55 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 4
Posted By gr[_2_]
Kind of lame ski season!

On 3/23/2012 4:29 PM, Morris Keesan wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:41:38 -0400, gr
wrote:

On 3/22/2012 11:13 PM, runcyclexcski wrote:
On Mar 22, 9:10...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 23rd 12, 07:41 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 4
Posted By gr[_2_]
Kind of lame ski season!

On 3/22/2012 11:13 PM, runcyclexcski wrote:
On Mar 22, 9:10 pm, wrote:
Good thing I went to New Hampshire for a week and spent a lot of time at
Great...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 23rd 12, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 4
Posted By gr[_2_]
Kind of lame ski season!

Good thing I went to New Hampshire for a week and spent a lot of time at
Great Glen and Bear Notch! (Bretton Woods was kind of beat though!)
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 23rd 12, 09:50 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By gr[_2_]
Bear Notch New Hampshire still has good snow!

Was there today (Thursday) and their base has held up through the warm
spell quite nicely. Skied both the upper and river trails with only a
few rocks or roots poking through. Night time temps now...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 21st 12, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By gr[_2_]
Bretton Woods over-rates its snow conditions?

On 2/20/2012 11:12 PM, Jon wrote:
I also just got back from there and agree totally.

Also, you can't tell whether or not it's klister conditions or not,
since it seems no one who works there...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 21st 12, 02:30 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By gr[_2_]
Bretton Woods over-rates its snow conditions?

Went to Bretton woods today. The xcskinh website says they reported 1"
of new snow yesterday and from what I saw that seems true. Now in
checking what they said today, they say they got 2 more...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 20th 12, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 4
Posted By gr[_2_]
Coldest Summer in NY

On 2/18/2012 1:13 PM, Terje Mathisen wrote:
Ben Kaufman wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:02:40 -0500, "Morris

wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:53:13...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 15th 12, 05:51 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By gr[_2_]
too stiff

On 2/14/2012 11:35 AM, lakesurfer52 wrote:
Have a couple of skis that are to stiff for me as I lost weight.
Both Fischers. ( Yes I contacted them. They said no can do)
One is skate and...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 15th 12, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By gr[_2_]
Roads in White Mountains NH, Gorham to Jackson?

How reliable is the road down through the White Mountains, NH (from
Gorham/Shelburne to Jackson Village)?
This is Route 16 (aka: White Mountain Rd/Pinkham Notch Rd)according to
Google maps, but...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 4th 12, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By gr[_2_]
steel edge vs non-steel speed and glide?

I ski a mixture of groomed, track and ungroomed and am thinking of a new
pair of waxables. Probably not real skinny, in the 58mm range. If I go
for steel edges will the glide be hurt much?
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 30th 12, 05:08 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 10
Posted By gr[_2_]
Coating vs Waxing

That's quite interesting! I expected, due to the nature of sintered
material, that some gaps (really small!) would exist between the melted
together particles.

Here are bits and pieces I...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 18th 12, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 10
Posted By gr[_2_]
Coating vs Waxing

On 1/17/2012 6:46 AM, lolix wrote:
See FluoroPolymeric Coating By Leonid Kuzmin
http://kuzmin.se/pgs/fp_drum_en.html

Sounds a little like NotWax a liquid teflon wipe.
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 18th 12, 04:29 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By gr[_2_]
How weird is to nap in a touring center?

On 1/17/2012 8:19 PM, Jon wrote:
Tired, and goaded by friends, I laid down on a bench in front of the
fire place at Trapps and took a nap (with a book on my stomach as a
visual aid). How weird...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 14th 12, 05:34 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By gr[_2_]
Does skating absolutely require groomed trails?

On 11/21/2011 5:41 PM, outsideinmi wrote:
absolutely yes, done it nearly every year on our local golf course out my
door.

400 yard long fairway. first pass 4 minutes slooooooow. second...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 13th 11, 06:08 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By gr[_2_]
What are the most basic needs for XC?

I am writing a short article for my local XC club newsletter, aimed at
new XC skiers (or maybe the guys just trying it for the first time
ever), about the basic equipment needed.

Things you need...
Forum: Nordic Skiing October 4th 11, 01:49 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 6
Posted By gr[_2_]
Snow sighted in Pennsylvania!

Sounds like a sign of an early winter! yahooooooooo!
Forum: Nordic Skiing May 11th 11, 02:59 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 5
Posted By gr[_2_]
Quiet here like a snowy trail!

I am still skiing in my mind..... had a week of memories of skiing in
Quebec at Mt St Anne and Camp Mercier to get me through the bad snowless
times!
GR
Forum: Nordic Skiing April 3rd 11, 03:26 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By gr[_2_]
Any old school classic biathlon?

And by old school I mean bow, arrow, and skis such as ULLR ski god
trailblazed. Anybody ever heard of such a competition?
Showing results 1 to 25 of 51