Showing results 1 to 25 of 31
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Neil
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 3rd 13, 12:25 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Neil
Back Country Ski tours

One of the first chores(?) I like to tackle after ski tour is to plan the
next one. I am thinking about a tour in Quebec. I had thought if the
Chic-Choc mountains at the end of the Gaspe Peninsula...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 8th 13, 11:22 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 19
Posted By Neil
Wet Snow

I have been out a couple of times in the last week on melting snow,
temperature +3C. I used Blue extra and it worked very well much to my
surprise. I have used Rex Klister tape and it can ball up...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 8th 13, 11:18 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 19
Posted By Neil
Wet Snow

Scotland - need I say more

"Ben Kaufman" wrote in message

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 01:05:24 -0000, "Neil" wrote:

SNIP
By...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 31st 13, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Neil
Early ski wax?

I think they used tar on wooden skis. Must have been fun.

"Pavel314" wrote in message

On Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:06:46 PM...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 31st 13, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 19
Posted By Neil
Wet Snow

I would tend to agree with you, fish scales or noisy and slow. and I have
had the experience of them balling up in wet soft snow. However, I'm sure
you always get the wax right but I don't but I...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 26th 13, 05:25 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 19
Posted By Neil
Wet Snow

fish scales?

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message ...

Neil wrote:
Wet snow, fluffy or soft, air temperature at or above 32f/0c. What are
the recommendations...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 26th 13, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 19
Posted By Neil
Wet Snow

Wet snow, fluffy or soft, air temperature at or above 32f/0c. What are the
recommendations for wax, both red and blue that include 32f/0c ball up. It
seems to leave only glide wax any...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 26th 13, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Neil
air temperature and waxes

I suspect your right, although I was out on the same blue wax -6 to 0,
today. Fluffy but wet snow, always the worst, and I was balling up. I hadn't
put new wax on for 2 days.

"Ben Kaufman" wrote...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 24th 13, 09:20 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 3
Posted By Neil
air temperature and waxes

Dear All,
How useful a guide is air temperature for waxes. I was out in +6 but a blue.
I should point out that I tend not to pack a thermometer when ski touring.
wax -6 to 0 worked fine.
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 25th 11, 10:42 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil
Which Ski Marathon?

Thanks for the suggestions but I live in Europe. One issue is snow. I would
not like to train up for a race in the Jura's or the Czech republic where I
no the snow is not guaranteed.

"Neil" wrote...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 23rd 11, 11:09 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Neil
clothing for multi-day touring

Gore-tex works and thermals for me. Not much you can do about your back
where it is in contact with your back.

wrote in message...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 22nd 11, 01:18 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil
Which Ski Marathon?

Dear All,
I am talking myself into doing a ski marathon. I thought I had outgrown that
stage of my life. I would be interested in trying something like 50K. As a
geriatric non-scandavian the only...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 13th 11, 01:57 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Neil
Ski Marathons

An interesting discussion.
next question, which ski marathon? As a geriatric non-Scandinavian, I will
be in the last tranche. From what I can gather it can be difficult to get a
good ski at the...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 1st 11, 08:05 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 20
Posted By Neil
Ski Marathons

Dear All,
I am thinking about doing a ski marathon next winter. I was wondering how
this might compare to training for a running marathon? Would a 45k ski
marathon be the same as a 45k road...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 13th 10, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Neil
Are my Metal Edges Coming Lose?

Dear All,
I have a pair of light touring skis, 20-25 years old. The wear on one ski
has exposed the top of the metal edges to the same depth as is visible on
the base. Is this metal strip likely to...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 29th 10, 11:32 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Neil
New Skis

Dear all,
just back from an excellent tour in Fedmundsmarka in Norway. Learned a lot
about waxing from the Norwegians, by the way. However the main point is that
my skis, which suit my needs very...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 11th 10, 11:29 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil
track skis or metal edges

Dear All,
I will going for a tour in the Fedmundsmarka area of Norway. I believe that
it is pretty flat. I was wondering if could by on my track skis or should I
take ones with metal edges. There...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 22nd 09, 11:56 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 0
Posted By Neil
Rex Waxs

Dear All,
I am a great fan of Rex's Grip Wax. I see that they have introduced a new
line of Rapid Quick Grip Waxes.
Would they be suitable for Ski touring. How are good are the spray on...
Forum: Nordic Skiing October 30th 09, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 1
Posted By Neil
Ski Tours in Norway

Dear All,
looking for suggestions for a ski tour in Norway. Did Finse to Geilo one
year and Tafjordfjella Summits another. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Neil
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 27th 09, 01:30 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 9
Posted By Neil
Ontario and Quebec ski touring

Thanks Parham, That was very helpful, I'll pass it on to my friends.
Neil
wrote in message
On Mar...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 26th 09, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 9
Posted By Neil
Ontario and Quebec ski touring

Thanks for the suggestion. I have read reports of tours in the Chic-Choc
mountains that were quite promising, 2 Questions: do you need to prebook
these huts and are there good maps of the area - I...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 26th 09, 11:57 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 9
Posted By Neil
Ontario and Quebec ski touring

Dear Michael,
Thanks for your reply and suggestions, we are interested in ski-touring
rather than cross-country racing, what Canadians seem to call back-country
skiing. We have just toured in...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 25th 09, 09:40 AM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 9
Posted By Neil
Ontario and Quebec ski touring

Dear All,
just back from an excellent ski tour in Norway. One of my first chores in
returning from such trips is to plan the following years one. I might be in
Ontario next February and I am...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 23rd 09, 02:03 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil
Worn Rotefella Boots

Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at the boot tip in the cold light of day,
the rubber is worn and the holes in the metal plate are becoming distinctly
worn done and elliptical. The boots are 20...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 22nd 09, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Replies: 2
Posted By Neil
Worn Rotefella Boots

Dear All,
just back from an excellent trip to Norway. One problem, in heavy snow,
very difficult to turn in, I had a problem with my boots coming out of my
bindings. I use a pair of leather boots...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 31