Showing results 1 to 25 of 29
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: steve
Forum: Nordic Skiing October 3rd 08, 04:15 PM
Replies: 2
Posted By steve
Hey Larry, If you stay downtown at a hotel,...

Hey Larry,

If you stay downtown at a hotel, you're looking at 10-45 minute commute depending on where in the park you wish to ski. Definitely a big benefit of Ottawa - you can get out of the city...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 21st 07, 04:15 AM
Replies: 3
Posted By steve
Oleg, I'd recommend Tremblant ... they have a...

Oleg,

I'd recommend Tremblant ... they have a fantastic Nordic ski center there in addition to lots of non-ski options (ie. restaurants, night-life, shops, etc.). It would be hard to get bored. You...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 20th 07, 06:55 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By steve
This could be part of it ... I had a low LF on...

This could be part of it ... I had a low LF on the skis, and I think the higher sections of the course were maybe a little colder than expected. Also, there was freshly blown "fluff" on the course,...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 19th 07, 06:09 PM
Replies: 6
Posted By steve
another ski fit question

Just did a marathon over the weekend and noticed something about my skis. They were extremely fast on the downhill/flats relative to those around me (partly attributable to a good wax job the night...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 1st 07, 04:20 PM
Replies: 4
Posted By steve
Parkways are hardpacked & fast. Trails in the...

Parkways are hardpacked & fast. Trails in the woods can be icy with thin coverage in places esp the hillier terrain of Burma/Penguin/trail 15. Snow is getting a little old & dirty, though we had...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 29th 07, 12:34 AM
Replies: 12
Posted By steve
Do a search.. tons of stuff on this. I opened a...

Do a search.. tons of stuff on this.

I opened a thread on this a couple years back after discovering skating with my classic poles as a sort of 'wake up' call to my overall technique. While...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 7th 06, 04:18 PM
Replies: 9
Posted By steve
thx for the links David. As a FYI for anyone,...

thx for the links David.

As a FYI for anyone, there is also a loop going around Lac des Sables at Ste-Agathe (closer to us than Esterel). Must say, the loops dont do it for me though ....it's the...
Forum: Nordic Skiing November 4th 06, 02:20 PM
Replies: 9
Posted By steve
David, That is very cool! Any idea whether there...

David,

That is very cool! Any idea whether there is any web-available service for skating conditions on Lac Champlain??

I would think long and hard about sacrificing a weekend of skiing for a 3 hr...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 15th 06, 04:23 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By steve
If your willing to travel about 30-60 minutes...

If your willing to travel about 30-60 minutes north of Montreal, you should have some fine spring skiing at the end of March at the Petit Train du Nord (old railroad converted to a ski trail), Morin...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 10th 06, 05:28 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By steve
Give us a few days and check www.xcottawa.ca,...

Give us a few days and check www.xcottawa.ca, where bringing out all of
our old Keski stuff and more for this years race. Also we will be
asking any skier who wants to submit a blurb about their...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 9th 06, 03:42 AM
Replies: 13
Posted By steve
ya, very sad, I agree ... praps the guys over at...

ya, very sad, I agree ... praps the guys over at xcottawa.ca can help do something about that - a special Keski event link, for example, replete with photos, race stories, etc. Dont know if your...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 6th 06, 07:16 PM
Replies: 14
Posted By steve
The CSM is a riot - you'll love it! I've done it...

The CSM is a riot - you'll love it! I've done it the past 2 years and it was a blast both times. You didn't specify whether you're doing the coureur du bois or just a few sections, but if you're...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 1st 06, 01:15 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By steve
Gatineau park question

Was wondering why there seems to be a notable absence of trails in the middle part of park? I'm referring to the area between Meech and Phillipe - theres another lake in there (name?).

Currently,...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 29th 06, 08:38 PM
Replies: 10
Posted By steve
Just got back from the cottage (Ste-Agathe area)...

Just got back from the cottage (Ste-Agathe area) which is about 20 mins from Tremblant. Tons of snow up there!! Conditions should be excellent - it would take a lot of rain and warm weather to screw...
Forum: Nordic Skiing September 15th 05, 03:59 PM
Replies: 1
Posted By steve
New 05/06 ski discussion

Alright, I'm in the market for a new set of skate skis. Fast ones, that is!

Currently have my eye on the new Rossi S1 or 2, or the Atomic RS11.

I hear that Rossi (and maybe Atomic?) have...
Forum: Nordic Skiing March 22nd 05, 01:33 PM
Replies: 24
Posted By steve
Doug, I would suggest giving them a chance ......

Doug,

I would suggest giving them a chance ... my Atomic Betas (2002) were damn slow at first as well. I kept waxing and skiing on them, and I luv em now. They're very stable, have excellent...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 22nd 05, 05:24 PM
Replies: 13
Posted By steve
I too participated in the prior weeks CSM,...

I too participated in the prior weeks CSM, completing my Silver. I also came away from that with a sore groin which I was very concerned about going into the Keski 50k free. I rested up during the...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 15th 05, 05:44 PM
Replies: 7
Posted By steve
Awesome post Onno, and congratz (Parham as...

Awesome post Onno, and congratz (Parham as well).

I must concurr with everything said - this event is every bit as awesome as it sounds. The people are fantastic, the scenery beautiful, the...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 9th 05, 04:49 PM
Replies: 15
Posted By steve
If you do things right, you ought to be able to...

If you do things right, you ought to be able to squeeze in some good skiing in that 2hr window you speak of ... it may just not fall at 'prime time'.

For me, I have a non-ski wife as well, a 15mth...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 8th 05, 04:40 AM
Replies: 8
Posted By steve
Er, for what its worth ... I have both a pair of...

Er, for what its worth ...

I have both a pair of RCSs and Atomic Betas (2002), the slightly wider model skate ski ... luv em both, though I do notice differences in how they ski. The Atomics, a...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 3rd 05, 05:27 PM
Replies: 3
Posted By steve
Onno, Lots of food/drink - granola bars,...

Onno,

Lots of food/drink - granola bars, cookies, soups, hot honey water, etc. - at the checkpoints. Food tends to be snacky stuff ... if theres something in particular you like (ie. gels, sandwich...
Forum: Nordic Skiing February 2nd 05, 04:17 AM
Replies: 4
Posted By steve
Couch potato turned ski racer ..

Just got up off my couch, oh, some time about two years ago and decided enough was enough. Threw the smokes & beer away, picked up my now very old pair of Peltonens (1993s) and went for a skate. ...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 26th 05, 03:33 AM
Replies: 2
Posted By steve
feeling slow

Been feeling a little slow in my training the last week or so ...
a 20km ski that I went on tonight, normally a nice light jaunt, felt like a real burden. Got a couple of big events in the nxt few...
Forum: Nordic Skiing January 12th 05, 12:55 AM
Replies: 6
Posted By steve
Hi Onno, Prior to figuring out logistics...

Hi Onno,

Prior to figuring out logistics (getting back to car, etc.), you might first want
to establish whether you're going to do be a 'tourer' or 'coureur du bois' as you mention at the end of...
Forum: Nordic Skiing December 22nd 04, 04:21 AM
Replies: 6
Posted By steve
With boots on, and standing on skis, they went to...

With boots on, and standing on skis, they went to my upper lip approx. I was under the impression the height of the pole was determined when standing in the boot only, and not on the ski?

An update...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 29