SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   To Detune or Not to Detune, that is the question (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=7103)

tg December 22nd 04 04:27 PM

To Detune or Not to Detune, that is the question

A couple of us are arguing the question on detuning edges. Is it truly
necessary? I can see where it would be an issue on a different surface, one
that does not give. But considering that the edge is running against a
surface that is much softer than the edge, it seems pointless. If on powder
it is not a function at all and on very hard hardpack/ice it seems like you
would want the sharp edge all the way around? If the edge sharpness was the
issue, it seems a greater radius than simply running a file against the
sharp edge would be required.

As you can tell from my answer, I don't detune at all.

Any comments?

Robert Stevahn December 22nd 04 06:10 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:27:59 -0500, "tg"
wrote:

on very hard hardpack/ice it seems like you
would want the sharp edge all the way around?

Yes, if you like catching edges.

Do you ride completely flat on cat tracks? In my experience, detuned
edges make this really easy, and I never have problems carving on even
the thinnest of surfaces. So my experience is that you do not need the
sharp edge at those contact points.

I didn't detune for the first 2 seasons I had my board. It is more
forgiving with the detuned edges and I can't tell the difference at
speed.

-- Robert

[email protected] December 22nd 04 08:01 PM

on very hard hardpack/ice it seems like you
would want the sharp edge all the way around?

Yes, if you like catching edges.

Nah, I don't "detune" anything and I don't "catch edges". If you're
doing that then you have a technique problem, not an equipment problem.

This was done recently on Bomberonline. The majority there didn't
detune. It seems that some boards have a tendency to hold on a little
too firmly in some conditions, and that these may benefit from some
blunting in some circumstances. The advice was to see how the board
rides and then fiddle with it if really necessary to you.

Personally I guess I just never rode one of those boards where this
would be useful, so my edges are sharp where they contact the snow.

Robert Stevahn December 22nd 04 08:21 PM

On 22 Dec 2004 13:01:34 -0800, wrote:

on very hard hardpack/ice it seems like you
would want the sharp edge all the way around?

Yes, if you like catching edges.

Nah, I don't "detune" anything and I don't "catch edges". If you're
doing that then you have a technique problem, not an equipment problem.

You're right, it may well be additional experience rather than the
detuning that got me where I am now. At the time, the edge catching
was not enough to cause me to fall, but required more frequent course
correction than the detuned board.

-- Robert

[email protected] December 23rd 04 02:38 PM

Most boards are detuned at the factory. Burton and K2 for example.
Just depends on whether your edges are grabbing.