SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Storage wax (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=26584)

Larry June 20th 11 03:57 PM

Storage wax

An article by Lee Borowski on storing skis that was referenced here
not that long ago recommends using the "warmest non-fluoro wax you can
find" to melt into the surfaces for storage. Which one would do for
skate skis? I've never bought wax before as most of my time was spent
on waxless skis and I only got my skate skis last year.

I would also appreciate a recommendation of an inexpensive set of
waxes when I "un-store" the skis for the winter. I typically get less
than two weeks on snow and just need a bare minimum.

Thanks!

Bob June 20th 11 04:18 PM

Storage wax

Larry wrote:
An article by Lee Borowski on storing skis that was referenced here
not that long ago recommends using the "warmest non-fluoro wax you can
find" to melt into the surfaces for storage. Which one would do for
skate skis? I've never bought wax before as most of my time was spent
on waxless skis and I only got my skate skis last year.

I would also appreciate a recommendation of an inexpensive set of
waxes when I "un-store" the skis for the winter. I typically get less
than two weeks on snow and just need a bare minimum.

Thanks!

Where are you? Conditions differ and that calls for different wax
choices. Here in the Lake Tahoe area, I use red (swix CH8) or violet
(CH7) mostly. When I wax for storage, I use a wax I expect to start the
next season on (CH7 because my first days on snow will probably be in
mid to late December) - that way, I can just scrape and start skiing.

If I followed the Boroski advice, I would be putting yellow on... and
the start of my season would involve scraping the yellow off, putting
some red or violet on, and scraping that off before I could ski. Not
worth it, for me.

YMMV,
Bob

[email protected] June 21st 11 12:46 AM

Storage wax

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:18:45 -0700
Bob wrote:

Larry wrote:
[...]

Agree with Bob. The main thing is storing the skis in a moderate or
cool temperature location with the ties off the tips.

Gene