SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A few new pics + oldest boarder (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=8509)

Mike M. Miskulin February 22nd 05 04:01 AM

A few new pics + oldest boarder

hey now,

http://www.rant.st/snowboarder/sugarbush/sugarbush.html

Added a couple of blue sky pics from Sunday after we
got a few inches of snow. Included is the oldest
person I've seen on a board yet. The gentleman works
as a "Greeter" at Sugarbush and is 69 years old. He
started boarding 6 years ago and has had open heart
and shoulder surgery since. He also still wears
wrist guards 'just in case'.

Its nice to know I'm not the oldest guy out there :)

To all my friends who are 'retired' from winter sports
hopefully this guy shames you into getting off your
butts and back out again.

And to those sitting at home saying 'I'd like to try
that someday but I'm too old', well its never too late
to start!

ps - the photo of Upper FIS is in same spot I took a
shot last week where you couldn't see 10 feet in front
of you. We went from crystal clear sky yesterday
to 8-10" of fresh today but with clouds and gale
force + winds in that same spot! Coming down from the
Summit chair and turning the corner near that spot
I was stopped dead on one run - had to unstrap
and walk 50 yards out of it.

[email protected] February 22nd 05 04:17 AM

I took my first lesson eleven years ago ago this month at Eldora. I was
older than most or all the other students, so I asked the instructor
how old was the oldest student he had ever had. "Eighty-one," was the
answer. Yes, an eighty-one year old man took snowboarding lessons, so I
am told.

There used to be a snowboard dealer right on the waterfront in Seattle
underneath the freeway near the ferry slips. This dealer would give a
senior citizen discount on rentals to those over forty-five. I have
qualified for that discount for several years. It doesn't do much good
now, as I own a few boards, and I am not in Seattle.

Thanks for the post.

Jeremiah Kristal February 22nd 05 11:38 PM

On 21 Feb 2005 21:17:04 -0800, wrote:

I took my first lesson eleven years ago ago this month at Eldora. I was
older than most or all the other students, so I asked the instructor
how old was the oldest student he had ever had. "Eighty-one," was the
answer. Yes, an eighty-one year old man took snowboarding lessons, so I
am told.

There used to be a snowboard dealer right on the waterfront in Seattle
underneath the freeway near the ferry slips. This dealer would give a
senior citizen discount on rentals to those over forty-five. I have
qualified for that discount for several years. It doesn't do much good
now, as I own a few boards, and I am not in Seattle.

Thanks for the post.

There is a ski instructor at Stratton who turned 85 a couple weeks
ago. He instructs most days, and golfs in the summer. My wife has
had him about 4 times this year. He said that he skis a lot better
than he walks. He's probably a bit old to convert, but I'll get my
wife to push him. :)

Jeremiah