SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tignes Glacier Update (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=1117)

David Off July 17th 03 12:45 PM

Tignes Glacier Update

This is a message from the Tignes lift company issued on the 15-7-2003
at 11h20 might be of interest. This has probably been issued in
response to the rumour that they are going to close on the
25/7/2003:-

"The high temperatures and weather conditions that we are experiencing
in the region have not spared the Glacier of the Grande Motte

So, to better satisfy our clients, skiers and boarders alike, and to
offer them the best snow conditions we have decided to advance our
opening and closing times by 30 minutes.

From Wednesday the 16th of July the new times a 6h45 - 12h30.

The forecast for the following days gives us hope for lower
temperatures and possibly some snowfall with the stormy weather. So we
are not yet planning to close the glacier but will channel users into
certain zones and pistes. The snowpark is still in good condition and
everyone seems happy about it."

STGM and Piste Director - Tignes

PG July 19th 03 06:41 PM

Tignes Glacier Update

"David Off" wrote in message
om...
This is a message from the Tignes lift company issued on the 15-7-2003
at 11h20 might be of interest. This has probably been issued in
response to the rumour that they are going to close on the
25/7/2003:-

[...]

The forecast for the following days gives us hope for lower
temperatures and possibly some snowfall with the stormy weather. So we
are not yet planning to close the glacier but will channel users into
certain zones and pistes. The snowpark is still in good condition and
everyone seems happy about it."

STGM and Piste Director - Tignes

Talking to one of the Arcs club trainers today he said conditions were
pretty unskiable by 8 am for most of July so far on the glacier. The
club hadn't even bothered to take the younger members up, preferring to
get them doing other activities.

I was up in Bourg St Maurice this morning. At approx. 800 m the shade
temperature according to the car was 38°C at 10 am. Watched the canoë
kayak French championships for a bit (ideal conditions for them!) then
drove up to Plan Peisey (a mere 30° at 1500 m here), took a photo of the
Plagnes/Arcs lift with a car passing underneath to give some idea of
scale...

http://grass-ski.alpesprovence.net/a1.htm

Reading the blurb, apparently the lack of intermediate pylon(s) is to
lessen the impact on the environment. Bit of a joke really, when you
look at the size of the construction at either end! You can see it with
ease from the Moutiers/Bourg SM road...

Pete

Ian Spare July 20th 03 05:12 PM

Tignes Glacier Update

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:41:08 +0200, "PG"
wrote:

I was up in Bourg St Maurice this morning. At approx. 800 m the shade
temperature according to the car was 38°C at 10 am. Watched the canoë

I win !! 39 in La Fayet yesterday afternoon about 1700

and I seem to win the saddo prize for replying to each thread I just
downloaded, I'll go out and get a pizza and some plonk..

Ian

Sue July 20th 03 10:11 PM

Tignes Glacier Update

In message , PG
writes

http://grass-ski.alpesprovence.net/a1.htm

Reading the blurb, apparently the lack of intermediate pylon(s) is to
lessen the impact on the environment.

Does that mean they couldn't get permission to build any?

look at the size of the construction at either end! You can see it with
ease from the Moutiers/Bourg SM road...

Or are they just doing it to get attention?
--
Sue ];(:)

David Off July 21st 03 03:06 PM

Tignes Glacier Update

"PG" wrote in message ...

Talking to one of the Arcs club trainers today he said conditions were
pretty unskiable by 8 am for most of July so far on the glacier.

Of course if you live in the US you can use a nice 400KW/h snowmaking
machine to make snow no matter how hot the planet gets:-

http://www.tenneymtn.com/summer/photos/

Unlike most snowmaking this machine works even at 35C! Just add a
small oil fired generator to power it.

It seems a bit crazy to me.