SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gloves (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=19547)

Colin Irvine[_4_] December 24th 09 12:37 PM

Gloves

I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest? Ideally tryable-on in the UK, but I'd settle for mail
order XLs.

--
Colin Irvine

The Older Gentleman[_2_] December 24th 09 01:35 PM

Gloves

Colin Irvine wrote:

I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest? Ideally tryable-on in the UK, but I'd settle for mail
order XLs.

I used Columbia for years. Very good. Or you could just use thermal
undergloves as well?

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F Triumph Street Triple
Suzuki TS250ER GN250 Damn, back to six bikes!

vulgarandmischevious December 24th 09 03:06 PM

Gloves

Colin Irvine wrote:

I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest?

K is always cold, and tried a couple of pairs of cheap-ish gloves. In
the end, she got some Swany leather-covered mittens, which she says
are fantastic.

I'm thinking of getting some myself. like this:
http://www.swanyamerica.com/prod.php?p=SWANFX-15

remove y December 24th 09 03:07 PM

Gloves

In message , Colin Irvine
writes
I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest? Ideally tryable-on in the UK, but I'd settle for mail
order XLs.

I have a lot of trouble with cold hands and use mitts. One of the good
features is that on some you can get the inside lining out for drying.
Not sure about wrist protection though.
You'll need to look for snow boarders stuff for the best and make sure
you are happy holding your poles with whatever you choose.

Am using Level "half pipe mitt at moment"

They had a web site and a UK firm sold me what I use for a reduced end
of line price last year.

--
PK
pauldotkellyatmcbdotnet

Colin Irvine[_4_] December 24th 09 04:10 PM

Gloves

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:06:06 -0700, vulgarandmischevious squeezed out
the following:

Colin Irvine wrote:

I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest?

K is always cold, and tried a couple of pairs of cheap-ish gloves. In
the end, she got some Swany leather-covered mittens, which she says
are fantastic.

I'm thinking of getting some myself. like this:
http://www.swanyamerica.com/prod.php?p=SWANFX-15

Funnily enough I'd already had a look at these
http://www.swanyamerica.com/prod.php?p=SWASX-44

The only downsides seem to be they're not Goretex, which I've always
had so far, plus apparant lack of availability in the UK.

--
Colin Irvine

Colin Irvine[_4_] December 24th 09 04:11 PM

Gloves

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:35:02 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
the following:

Colin Irvine wrote:

I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest? Ideally tryable-on in the UK, but I'd settle for mail
order XLs.

I used Columbia for years. Very good.

I shall have a look, ta.

Or you could just use thermal
undergloves as well?

I've already got silk undergloves, but they don't seem to make a lot
of difference.

--
Colin Irvine

Colin Irvine[_4_] December 24th 09 04:12 PM

Gloves

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:07:34 +0000, remove y squeezed out the
following:

In message , Colin Irvine
writes
I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest? Ideally tryable-on in the UK, but I'd settle for mail
order XLs.

I have a lot of trouble with cold hands and use mitts. One of the good
features is that on some you can get the inside lining out for drying.
Not sure about wrist protection though.
You'll need to look for snow boarders stuff for the best

I'd begun to suspect that would be a fruitful area..

--
Colin Irvine

vulgarandmischevious December 24th 09 04:29 PM

Gloves

Colin Irvine wrote:

I bought some Hestra gloves a year or two ago to replace my original
pair, and they've been warm enough up to now. However, they couldn't
cope with Tignes last week, -17C at resort level so goodness knows
what it was at the top in the wind.

I reckon I should be looking at some top-of-the-range mitts. What do
people suggest?

K is always cold, and tried a couple of pairs of cheap-ish gloves. In
the end, she got some Swany leather-covered mittens, which she says
are fantastic.

I'm thinking of getting some myself. like this:
http://www.swanyamerica.com/prod.php?p=SWANFX-15

Funnily enough I'd already had a look at these
http://www.swanyamerica.com/prod.php?p=SWASX-44

Yes - those are the ones that K has. She says they are stellar. And
she feels the cold pretty severely.

The only downsides seem to be they're not Goretex, which I've always
had so far, plus apparant lack of availability in the UK.

I'd be happy to get them and post them to you, if you decide you want
them. Of course, that doesn't help with the "trying them on" thing.

Colin Irvine[_4_] December 24th 09 05:37 PM

Gloves

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 09:29:35 -0700, vulgarandmischevious squeezed out
the following:

Colin Irvine wrote:

Funnily enough I'd already had a look at these
http://www.swanyamerica.com/prod.php?p=SWASX-44

Yes - those are the ones that K has. She says they are stellar. And
she feels the cold pretty severely.

The only downsides seem to be they're not Goretex, which I've always
had so far, plus apparant lack of availability in the UK.

I'd be happy to get them and post them to you, if you decide you want
them. Of course, that doesn't help with the "trying them on" thing.

Thanks. I'll see what other suggestions I get, and follow up the ones
I've already got.

We've only one more week skiing booked atm, in Samoens in March. The
Hestras should manage that ok. If I decide to go for Swanys then I
might wait until we're in BC (for the month, next September) and find
a Canadian stockist.

--
Colin Irvine

Ace[_3_] December 24th 09 06:11 PM

Gloves

Colin Irvine wrote:

Funnily enough I'd already had a look at these
http://www.swanyamerica.com/prod.php?p=SWASX-44

Yes - those are the ones that K has. She says they are stellar. And
she feels the cold pretty severely.

The only downsides seem to be they're not Goretex, which I've always
had so far, plus apparant lack of availability in the UK.

TBH in really cold weather you have absolutely no need for goretex.
There won't be any moisture on the outside and your hands won't be
sweating either. I don't currently own any serious cold gloves, but I
wouldn't be bothered about waterproofness if I only wanted them for
-15C conditions.

As it happens, I very rarely feel the need for anything warmer than
'normal' ski gloves even in those temperatures, using simple leather
ones unless it's absolutely ****ing it down, ordinary goretext ones if
it is. For real warm-weather stuff I've just bought some deerskin
gardening gloves. Incredibly lightweight, should be perfect.

If I decide to go for Swanys then I
might wait until we're in BC (for the month, next September) and find
a Canadian stockist.

I see that they're sponsoring a few freeride skiers here in CH, and
that they have a manufacturing plant here too
http://www.swanyeurope.com/ but I can't find a list of retailers. I'd
be happy to pick some up for you if you can find a shop.

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/