SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   XC in Scandinavia in April (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=12806)

[email protected] February 28th 06 05:03 PM

XC in Scandinavia in April

I=B4m looking for a place to go skiing in Scandinavia. Time is about MID
APRIL.

Does anyone have recommendations? I think it=B4s too late for
Oslo/Lillehammer?

I would like to do more skating than classic. Good connection to
airport Oslo or Stockholm would be fine.
Any hints? thank you!
Bernd

[email protected] February 28th 06 05:21 PM

I have just the perfect thing for you:
The worlds second largets XC ski race, April 22nd at Finse/Geilo!
Arrangers set up trains from both Oslo and Bergen.
Many years 14000 participants, 38km freestyle, plenty of snow, many
from Norways national XC and biathlon team race it.

http://www.turrennklubben.no/tur_skarverennet_2005.html
http://geiloil.no/comweb.asp?segment=3&ID=23

Accomodation he
http://www.geilo.no/render_vinter_en...ent=7&session=
Train he
http://www.nsb.no/

Terje Mathisen February 28th 06 06:15 PM

wrote:
I´m looking for a place to go skiing in Scandinavia. Time is about MID
APRIL.

Does anyone have recommendations? I think it´s too late for
Oslo/Lillehammer?

I would like to do more skating than classic. Good connection to
airport Oslo or Stockholm would be fine.
Any hints? thank you!

We have recently (3 weeks ago) taken over a new cabin in the mountains,
near Rauland Høgfjellshotell which is in Vinje, Telemark.

(We sold the old one above Rjukan of course!)

Anyway, we've just spent the kids' one-week winter break at this cabin,
and I was quite amazed by the amount and quality of preset courses.

They have about 140 km total, of which 70 K is set very wide, with a
skating lane between classic tracks on both sides.

They also have a 2.8 km lighted track between Rauland hotel and Vierli,
this trail have even got water pipes for snowmaking in the early season! :-)

Since the trail system here is all between 800 and 1100 m above sea
level, it will almost certainly stay skiable well into April.

(Easter can be as late as second half of April, and we have always had
excellent conditions at this time, although it can get a bit slushy late
in the day.)

Terje

--
-

nordvind March 3rd 06 12:34 AM

Wish I could go...........

Terje Mathisen March 6th 06 08:37 PM

Alex wrote:
Bernd

April would normally be too late for reliable snow in Oslomarka.

Normally, yes. This year? I won't be surprised if we still have set
tracks some places in early May.

We are currently within grasping distance of the Oslo snow records, and
we had some more today.

I think the mountain resorts north of Oslo normally have snow until
late April. They are mostly at around 800m which helps. There is an

Late April means end of Easter during years when Easter is late, and all
serious mountain resorts have dependable snow at that time.

I know Sjujøen well, which AFAIK, is the most southerly of these. It
can be reached from Lillehammer station. It has 300k plus prepared
tracks. Many are prepared for skating. The latest I have been there is
the third week in April. There was heaps of snow and more fell while
we were there. However, the daytime temperature reached plus 15 C
some days. I wasn't trying to skate, and I don't know whether it would
be good in such conditions.

This is a time of year when conditions are quite variable, but having
+15C is still quite remarkable! :-)

Other possibilities are Beitostølen, near Trondheim, and Østersund,

Trondheim is at sea level, so don't bet on it!

OTOH, I've seen great skiing there in late June, so conditions obviously
vary a lot from year to year! (I was born there, and later lived there
for 8 years getting my degree and first job.)

Terje
--
-

Terje Henriksen March 7th 06 02:47 PM

Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alex wrote:

Other possibilities are Beitostølen, near Trondheim, and Østersund,

Trondheim is at sea level, so don't bet on it!

Bymarka in Trondheim is several hundred meters above sea level, depending on
where you start.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Terje Mathisen March 7th 06 09:57 PM

Terje Henriksen wrote:
Terje Mathisen wrote:
Alex wrote:

Other possibilities are Beitostølen, near Trondheim, and Østersund,

Trondheim is at sea level, so don't bet on it!

Bymarka in Trondheim is several hundred meters above sea level, depending on
where you start.

Sure. I was born there, and later lived there 8 years getting my MSc and
first job.

'Når skaren bærer en fullvoksen mann på St. Hans, så blir det sen vår!'

'When the crust can carry a fullgrown man at Midsummer, then you know
it'll be a late Spring'.

I think Bymarka (at Vintervannsmyra) had nearly two meters of snow cover
in June 1977.

Terje

--
-