SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   which Austrian glacier is the "warmest" ? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=1284)

Pablo October 27th 03 09:42 AM

which Austrian glacier is the "warmest" ?

I am going to Austria in first half of Nov. to ski with my daughter. She
hates to ski in temperatures below -10 deg. C. Many people recommended me
Tux as the best at this time of the year but as I see Tux is always very
cold with strong wind in addition. I realize November weather is
unpredictable but I suspect there are some glaciers which may be placed in
quiter areas or slopes are on sunny side of the mountain. Any experiences
??

Pablo

Adrian D. Shaw October 27th 03 12:56 PM

which Austrian glacier is the "warmest" ?

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Pablo :
I am going to Austria in first half of Nov. to ski with my daughter. She
hates to ski in temperatures below -10 deg. C. Many people recommended me
Tux as the best at this time of the year but as I see Tux is always very
cold with strong wind in addition. I realize November weather is
unpredictable but I suspect there are some glaciers which may be placed in
quiter areas or slopes are on sunny side of the mountain. Any experiences
??

Just to say that I remember going up a chair lift on the Hintertux glacier
and feeling colder than I've ever felt before - or since. That was in
March (1990 I think).

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.

Turan Fettahoglu November 2nd 03 09:54 PM

which Austrian glacier is the "warmest" ?

If you want a not so cold start, try the Pitztaler Gletscher. You get up
there by underground railway. Same as on the Mölltal.

Any ski run at 3000m (10000 feet) altitude can be cold and windy, so it
might be wise to buy a ticket for, say, 5 days out of seven. On some days
they just can't open the runs due to bad weather.

Enjoy your stay!
Turan