SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Passing Someone in French (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=19876)

Jon[_3_] February 16th 10 04:18 PM

Passing Someone in French

Would appreciate some Ski-French help. If I'm passing someone on the
right (e.g., on a downhill) in Quebec, do I say "a droite"? (or does
that mean "it's your right"?) "Par votre droite"?

Any guidance appreciated (and since I'm asking--what's the word for
kick wax--I always thought it was "fartage" but someone said something
that sounded like "cire")

Thanks,

Jon

Otto Bahn[_2_] February 22nd 10 09:03 PM

Passing Someone in French

"Jon" wrote

Would appreciate some Ski-French help. If I'm passing someone on the
right (e.g., on a downhill) in Quebec, do I say "a droite"? (or does
that mean "it's your right"?) "Par votre droite"?

Any guidance appreciated (and since I'm asking--what's the word for
kick wax--I always thought it was "fartage" but someone said something
that sounded like "cire")

I don't think it's ever polite to pass gas near someone
you don't know.

--oTTo--

Dr. HotSalt February 22nd 10 09:54 PM

Passing Someone in French

On Feb 22, 2:03*pm, "Otto Bahn" wrote:
"Jon" wrote

Would appreciate some Ski-French help. *If I'm passing someone on the
right (e.g., on a downhill) in Quebec, do I say "a droite"? * (or does
that mean "it's your right"?) *"Par votre droite"?

Coincidentally, there is a French word for the little social
niceties to be observed in such situations.

Any guidance appreciated (and since I'm asking--what's the word for
kick wax--I always thought it was "fartage" but someone said something
that sounded like "cire")

Gosh, what a lot of (Go Ogle) search terms you have there.

I don't think it's ever polite to pass gas near someone
you don't know.

Otto, do you just pick groups at random for these little gems, or do
you have some automagical software that finds them for you?

Dr. HotSalt

pete February 23rd 10 02:06 AM

Passing Someone in French

Otto Bahn wrote:
"Jon" wrote

Would appreciate some Ski-French help. If I'm passing someone on the
right (e.g., on a downhill) in Quebec, do I say "a droite"? (or does
that mean "it's your right"?) "Par votre droite"?

Any guidance appreciated (and since I'm asking--what's the word for
kick wax--I always thought it was "fartage" but someone said something
that sounded like "cire")

I don't think it's ever polite to pass gas near someone
you don't know.

You should say "En passant",
and then take their pawn.

--
pete

Mark Edwards February 23rd 10 02:10 AM

Passing Someone in French

If you are passing French people, you are not chewing long enough.

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

mr [email protected] February 23rd 10 02:12 AM

Passing Someone in French

On Feb 22, 5:03*pm, "Otto Bahn" wrote:

I don't think it's ever polite to pass gas near someone
you don't know.

--oTTo--

Though I am somewhat fluent in French, I had to use Babel Fish for
this one. The correct answer is:

Déplacez le fromage à l'écart mangeant le singe de reddition.

(Move out of the way you cheese eating surrender monkey)

mr dude

Otto Bahn[_2_] February 23rd 10 02:49 PM

Passing Someone in French

"pete" wrote

Would appreciate some Ski-French help. If I'm passing someone on the
right (e.g., on a downhill) in Quebec, do I say "a droite"? (or does
that mean "it's your right"?) "Par votre droite"?

Any guidance appreciated (and since I'm asking--what's the word for
kick wax--I always thought it was "fartage" but someone said something
that sounded like "cire")

I don't think it's ever polite to pass gas near someone
you don't know.

You should say "En passant",
and then take their pawn.

Hitler says, "Czech and mate."

--oTTo--

Jared February 24th 10 05:36 AM

Passing Someone in French

On Feb 22, 10:12*pm, "mr "
wrote:
On Feb 22, 5:03*pm, "Otto Bahn" wrote:

I don't think it's ever polite to pass gas near someone
you don't know.

--oTTo--

Though I am somewhat fluent in French, I had to use Babel Fish for
this one. The correct answer is:

Déplacez le fromage à l'écart mangeant le singe de reddition.

(Move out of the way you cheese eating surrender monkey)

mr dude

Uhhh... Literally, "Move the cheese out of the way eating the monkey
of surrender"?

How about "Sortir de la voie, singe capitulant et fromage-mangeant!"?

Etienne Rouette February 24th 10 10:10 AM

Passing Someone in French

Jared wrote:

Uhhh... Literally, "Move the cheese out of the way eating the monkey
of surrender"?

How about "Sortir de la voie, singe capitulant et fromage-mangeant!"?

How about "Tasse-toé d'mon ch'min, gros cave!"

HTH.

Etienne

Otto Bahn[_2_] February 24th 10 03:03 PM

Passing Someone in French

"Etienne Rouette" wrote

Uhhh... Literally, "Move the cheese out of the way eating the monkey
of surrender"?

How about "Sortir de la voie, singe capitulant et fromage-mangeant!"?

How about "Tasse-toé d'mon ch'min, gros cave!"

VOULEZ VOUS CROCHET AVEC MOI!!!

--oTTo--