SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Board spec question and the Burton Baron (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=10133)

Frank L Lynn April 8th 05 12:59 AM

Board spec question and the Burton Baron

I am looking for a new board for east coast riding. I usually ride
about 30 days a year.

My current board:
2002 Ride Mountain
Length: 163
Waist width: 272

I am checking out the burton baron. I had bought wide board last time
to accomidate my old boots, which were size 13. My current boots are
11.5, so I want to get a narrower board for the smaller eastern
mountains, more jumps and east coast ice.

Anybody have experience with this board? I am looking for a slightly
softer and more narrow board. My current board is really stiff. I am
6'2" and weight between 205-210. This is on the high end of the weight
range for the burton board. The 163 says its good up to 200+, and the
167 is good up to 210+. I have heard that burton boards are
traditionally softer. Is this true? Also, this board comes in 162 or
167. I dont know which board to get. I have not had stability
problems with my current 163, but I am concerned with going down to a
162 and when I talk to guys at shops, they have all said to get the
bigger board. Anybody have any thoughts on this subject or burton
boards in general?

Thanks,
-franklynn

Mike T April 8th 05 01:29 AM

Anybody have any thoughts on this subject or burton
boards in general?

My personal experience is that Burton boards and heavy riders don't mix. I
generally feel that you should not be in the upper third of the weight range
for a Burton. I turned a Custom into a noodle in about 20 riding days, and
that was before I hode as hard as I do now. I was in the upper third of the
weight range.

If you want a Baron I'd avoid the 162 at your size. The 167 still has a
pretty tight sidecut radius so it won't hurt you in tight places.

If you want a shorter board, I'd look at Salomon or my favorite among
freeride/freestyle boards, Donek. They're very sturdy boards.

Mike T

[email protected] April 11th 05 05:42 PM

I just bought a Burton Baron 162 this year...love it! I'm 6'4", 200
lbs and I previously had a Burton Canyon 171. I've size 13 feet. The
Baron is slightly narrower, but not by much.

I bought the shorter board as I'm getting better in the park, and I was
spending a lot of effort doing 180s/360s. The 162 helped me out a bit.
I'm also an east coast rider, and only notice that I'm on a shorter
board when I hit some flat areas.

Hope this helps!

Curtis