SkiBanter

-   Snowboarding (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gooft Stance - Right Big Toe Hurts (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=15203)

RigasMinho February 22nd 07 06:16 PM

Gooft Stance - Right Big Toe Hurts

Hello,
Somehow whenever I snowboard in the goofy stance my right big toe
hurts because its being pushed more into the front of my boots more.

The more i "open" (placing the binding in a more open position) my
right foot binding the more my toes feels the pressure whenever i go
on my toe edge. Closing the binding more gets rid of the pain more
but its still there.

Any ideas on what to do?

Is it the boot size that is messing everything up? Do I have too
small / too big boots? BTW i wear Burton Hail 2006 - my sneaker size
is 9-9.5 and my boot size is 9.5.

Any advice on thsi would be great.

Christian G. Becker February 23rd 07 01:14 AM

RigasMinho schrieb:
Hello,
Somehow whenever I snowboard in the goofy stance my right big toe
hurts because its being pushed more into the front of my boots more.

The more i "open" (placing the binding in a more open position) my
right foot binding the more my toes feels the pressure whenever i go
on my toe edge. Closing the binding more gets rid of the pain more
but its still there.

Any ideas on what to do?

Try to stand deeper during the turns.

My right boot fits a little bit tighter than the left. If I try to
control the turns with the toes instead of the leg, it hurts soon,
because they take the full force. And it is a warning that I'm standing
too rigid on the board.

Krischan

Andrew Wright February 23rd 07 08:52 AM

Gooft Stance - Right Big Toe Hurts

"RigasMinho" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
Somehow whenever I snowboard in the goofy stance my right big toe
hurts because its being pushed more into the front of my boots more.

The more i "open" (placing the binding in a more open position) my
right foot binding the more my toes feels the pressure whenever i go
on my toe edge. Closing the binding more gets rid of the pain more
but its still there.

Any ideas on what to do?

Is it the boot size that is messing everything up? Do I have too
small / too big boots? BTW i wear Burton Hail 2006 - my sneaker size
is 9-9.5 and my boot size is 9.5.

Any advice on thsi would be great.

Do your feet actually move around inside the boot? If they do, the boot's
probably too big, but you also might not be lacing it tight enough. I think
a snowboard boot fits if you can feel the end of the liner with your toe all
the time, but there's no or very little pressure. When you're walking with
them loose, it may feel much too short - the boot should be comfortable to
ride in, but I consider walking secondary.

If you're sure the boot's the right size for you, you should try getting a
fancy footbed made. I have the budget-priced custom footbeds that go in a
microwave, and I love them. The footbed will help your foot stay in a more
stable, consistent position, so you'll move less in the boot. The support's
nice too.

Andrew

Neil Gendzwill February 23rd 07 01:51 PM

Andrew Wright wrote:
If you're sure the boot's the right size for you, you should try getting a
fancy footbed made. I have the budget-priced custom footbeds that go in a
microwave, and I love them.

Even a not so fancy footbed helps. I have a semi-custom model. It
prevents your feet from flattening out or moving around in the boot, two
things that may be causing the toe bang. Most boot fitters in the ski
boot/hard boot world will recommend a footbed before they do any other
work. I assume they are also useful for softies.

Neil

[email protected] February 23rd 07 04:16 PM

Gooft Stance - Right Big Toe Hurts

On Feb 22, 7:16 pm, "RigasMinho" wrote:

I've always had to cut chunks out of my boot liners in
order to get my big toe comfy. Probably I've got weird
feet. Keeping your toenails short (but not too short)
really helps too IMO. Biggest mistake is cutting nails
short after they've already started causing pain. It
can really ruin your boarding for a couple of days. But
I digress.

If you have mouldable liners, you can also try remoulding
them, but this time with strategically placed padding taped
to your toes to increase the space for them.

Iain.

RigasMinho February 23rd 07 07:18 PM

On Feb 23, 11:29 am, "Memascii" wrote:
On Feb 22, 7:16 pm, "RigasMinho" wrote:

I've always had to cut chunks out of my boot liners in
order to get my big toe comfy. Probably I've got weird
feet. Keeping your toenails short (but not too short)
really helps too IMO. Biggest mistake is cutting nails
short after they've already started causing pain. It
can really ruin your boarding for a couple of days. But
I digress.

If you have mouldable liners, you can also try remoulding
them, but this time with strategically placed padding taped
to your toes to increase the space for them.

Iain.

Yeah I guess I will try what you guys have written down - I mean i
think the boot is a good size.

The only way to really find out if its my boot or not is to rent some
boots and find a pair in a size higher or lower.

Right now when i put my feet in the boot its really comfortable. I
feel like its really snug - my cousins / friends were telling me its
because the way i ride puts too much pressure on my toes to begin
with. Also they were saying that their toes jam a little too but only
when turning / stoping...

Man i miss the good old days of my skiing...

Do you guys find it weird that when you guys turn / stop your toes
push into the front of your boots more?

Nobody February 23rd 07 08:48 PM

Gooft Stance - Right Big Toe Hurts

On 23 Feb 2007 11:18:20 -0800, "RigasMinho"
wrote:

Do you guys find it weird that when you guys turn / stop your toes
push into the front of your boots more?

My toes never push into my boots.

Shoe size: 11.5
Salomon Malamute snowboard boot size: 10.5

Christian G. Becker February 24th 07 08:17 AM

RigasMinho schrieb:
On Feb 23, 11:29 am, "Memascii" wrote:
On Feb 22, 7:16 pm, "RigasMinho" wrote:

Do you guys find it weird that when you guys turn / stop your toes
push into the front of your boots more?

Only if I do not bend my knees enough while turning as I already pointed
out. Try to use your calves more to steer. The boot/binding isn't that
high only for protecting your ankle joint.

Krischan

Bob F March 1st 07 02:04 AM

Gooft Stance - Right Big Toe Hurts

"RigasMinho" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If your boots are less comfortable than ski boots, you have a problem.

You could try adding more forward lean to your bindings. That might
reduce the pressure on your toes on heelside turns.

Bob