SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Roller Skiing in NJ? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=2170)

Ross M. July 11th 03 01:34 AM

Roller Skiing in NJ?

Hi,

I know this is a bit of a long shot, but I'm a collegiate skier
spending the summer in central New Jersey, and I wonder if anyone out
there has trained in the state and knows of a good location for
distance rollerskiing; most of the roads around here tend to be
dangerously busy, unfortunately. I'd be very grateful for any
suggestions.

Many thanks in advance,
Ross

Ken Roberts July 11th 03 02:43 PM

Roller Skiing in NJ?

Sounds like you're too far out there in the new suburban sprawl -- try
coming in a little, to some of the older suburbs and cities. I have fun
doing distance workouts on some of the streets in Cranford, Westfield,
Linden, and southwestern Elizabeth -- lots of real wide streets with little
car traffic. So get a map of Union County NJ, and send me private email and
I'll be happy to talk about specific possibilities. Maybe we could even
meet for an introductory tour.

Obviously when you go more urban you need to have a strategy for handling
complicated traffic patterns -- and the unexpected, like stopping quick. If
you don't want to take that on, I've heard there's a book on NJ rail trails.
But for me skiing on the streets offers so much more variety of sights and
neighborhoods and fan appreciation.

There's also some nice training _hills_ out in central and western NJ. If
you get interested in hill-specific workouts, we could talk about that too.

Ken