SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   womens relay (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=19958)

shreddir February 25th 10 07:59 AM

womens relay

I don't get why Vibeke Skofterud is starting the first leg. Is she skiing
classic better than Marte Kristoffersen? Vibeke didn't look that great in
earlier races even though it was freestyle. Key for me is whether my girl
Therese Johaug can keep up with Virpi Kuitinen (who I think has the most
exquisite classic form) even though Virpi hasn't been crushing everybody
like 2 years ago. Therese just has to give Kristen S Steira a reasonable
chance when she starts leg 3. How weird is it for the Swedish coaches to
put Kalla in leg 3 instead of the anchor? I guess Ida Ingermarsdotter did
better in the individual sprint event. If the track is soft with tons of
new snow, Kalla may break away because she has the best subtle touch in
skating technique. If the track firms up Marit Bjeorgen will kill it on
the finishing kilometer. Maybe somebody who can read the Aftposten(sp?)
website can shed some light on the team selection?

Terje Mathisen[_2_] February 25th 10 12:29 PM

womens relay

shreddir wrote:
I don't get why Vibeke Skofterud is starting the first leg. Is she skiing
classic better than Marte Kristoffersen? Vibeke didn't look that great in

Marte is probably considered to be too young, afair she failed badly on
a relay last year?

earlier races even though it was freestyle. Key for me is whether my girl
Therese Johaug can keep up with Virpi Kuitinen (who I think has the most
exquisite classic form) even though Virpi hasn't been crushing everybody

The "bunny" is looking very strong now, much much better than at any
previous part of the season, so I thnk she'll be OK.

like 2 years ago. Therese just has to give Kristen S Steira a reasonable
chance when she starts leg 3. How weird is it for the Swedish coaches to
put Kalla in leg 3 instead of the anchor? I guess Ida Ingermarsdotter did
better in the individual sprint event. If the track is soft with tons of
new snow, Kalla may break away because she has the best subtle touch in
skating technique. If the track firms up Marit Bjeorgen will kill it on
the finishing kilometer. Maybe somebody who can read the Aftposten(sp?)
website can shed some light on the team selection?

Norway don't expect them to win at all, we're just hoping for maybe a medal.

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

[email protected] February 25th 10 04:02 PM

womens relay

Skofterud has a habit of going out hard and posting leading times
early, before fading. No doubt Norway is hoping she can keep it up for
5k.

Gene

Terje Mathisen[_2_] February 25th 10 08:54 PM

womens relay

wrote:
Skofterud has a habit of going out hard and posting leading times
early, before fading. No doubt Norway is hoping she can keep it up for
5k.

The jury is in: Yes, she did! (Despite dislocating her shoulder in the
7.5+7.5).

All 4 girls did very good races, even if Justina K were far faster than
anyone else on the second leg and Kalla did a very good 3rd leg:

With Bjørgen starting in the lead and Germany ca 25 seconds behind,
there really wasn't anyone else who might have had a chance to beat her.
:-)

Terje
PS. SI tipped Norway to get 7 Golds, that's the current number and
there's still a few medal events left: Men's biathlon relay, 30K
(Bjørgen?) and 50K (Petter unless doing every single race so far has
taken too much out of him, in which case Bauer is the obvious
favourite), as well as Curling (the guys with the trousers!)

I'm guessing 8 as the final count.

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no