SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wet Snow (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=27620)

Neil January 26th 13 03:49 PM

Wet Snow

Wet snow, fluffy or soft, air temperature at or above 32f/0c. What are the
recommendations for wax, both red and blue that include 32f/0c ball up. It
seems to leave only glide wax any suggestions.
Neil

Terje Mathisen[_2_] January 26th 13 04:12 PM

Wet Snow

Neil wrote:
Wet snow, fluffy or soft, air temperature at or above 32f/0c. What are
the recommendations for wax, both red and blue that include 32f/0c ball
up. It seems to leave only glide wax any suggestions.

You're pretty much describing the conditions "Zero" skis were made for,
i.e. with a rubbed central area and no grip wax.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

Terje Mathisen[_2_] January 26th 13 09:31 PM

Wet Snow

Neil wrote:
fish scales?

No, no!

Fish scales were the original attempt to make "waxless" skis, they have
never worked and I still cringe when I hear a tourist coming (very
slowly!) down the tracks in -5C or colder, with that
"DRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..." sound.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no

gr[_2_] January 27th 13 02:56 AM

Wet Snow

Neil wrote:
Wet snow, fluffy or soft, air temperature at or above 32f/0c. What are
the recommendations for wax, both red and blue that include 32f/0c ball
up. It seems to leave only glide wax any suggestions.

You're pretty much describing the conditions "Zero" skis were made for,
i.e. with a rubbed central area and no grip wax.

Terje

If you use fishscale skis a lot as rock skis (5 years or more) the noise

decreases dramatically, the glide improves and

the grip becomes poor........ not really a bad tradeoff!

Neil January 31st 13 12:05 AM

Wet Snow

I would tend to agree with you, fish scales or noisy and slow. and I have
had the experience of them balling up in wet soft snow. However, I'm sure
you always get the wax right but I don't but I tend to ski with companions
who use fish scales. It is difficult to ask them to stop all the time while
you fiddle with your waxes. By the way what are rock skis?

eb.com...

[email protected] January 31st 13 04:55 AM

Wet Snow

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 01:05:24 -0000
"Neil" wrote:

I would tend to agree with you, fish scales or noisy and slow. and I
have had the experience of them balling up in wet soft snow. However,
I'm sure you always get the wax right but I don't but I tend to ski
with companions who use fish scales. It is difficult to ask them to
stop all the time while you fiddle with your waxes. By the way what
are rock skis?

Rub some liquid wax or silicone spray (or cooking oil) on your
fishscales to inhibit snow from sticking. Make it very light, so you
can still get grip.

Gene

[email protected] January 31st 13 02:46 PM

Wet Snow

"Neil" wrote:

I would tend to agree with you, fish scales or noisy and slow. and I
have had the experience of them balling up in wet soft snow. However,
I'm sure you always get the wax right but I don't but I tend to ski
with companions who use fish scales. It is difficult to ask them to
stop all the time while you fiddle with your waxes. By the way what
are rock skis?

Rock skis are pairs mainly used for conditions where you are likely to
enounter rocks or other impediments that can do damage to your bases
(sticks, pavement just underneath), such as commonly faced at early or
late season snow levels. They might be a well-knicked up old pair
that you don't care if it gets more damage, or something picked up at a
sale for the purpose.

Gene

Ben Kaufman February 1st 13 01:54 PM

Wet Snow

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 01:05:24 -0000, "Neil" wrote:

SNIP
By the way what are rock skis?

Wow, you must come from a place where the snow is really good! :-)

(I saw gene already answer you question, so I can kid around).

Ben

gr[_4_] February 2nd 13 04:52 PM

Wet Snow

On 2/1/2013 9:54 AM, Ben Kaufman wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 01:05:24 -0000, "Neil" wrote:

SNIP
By the way what are rock skis?

Wow, you must come from a place where the snow is really good! :-)

(I saw gene already answer you question, so I can kid around).

Ben

I think he is in Norway, the land of endless snow. I am in Rochester, NY
the land of endless teases about snow--- looks like yet another lake
effect storm missed us.