SkiBanter

-   North American Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Novice Fla Skiers (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=11527)

ralph December 5th 05 10:39 AM

Novice Fla Skiers

Hi All
We are 3 novice skiers (1 adult and 2 kids) looking for a resort that
does not take a day to get to from Florida. We are totally unfamilar
with snow (native Fla), the only snow we know is when the cable TV goes
out during hurricane .... We like to go for 3 or 4 days between Dec
27-Jan 2 depending on available and price. Considering I have not
driven in snow country, I like to find a place that has either pick up
service or short, slow tourist drive from major airport (we are in
south Fl and it take 8 hours+ just to get to next state line). Any
advice is welcome
Thanks in advance

Walt December 5th 05 05:58 PM

ralph wrote:

Hi All
We are 3 novice skiers (1 adult and 2 kids) looking for a resort that
does not take a day to get to from Florida. We are totally unfamilar
with snow (native Fla), the only snow we know is when the cable TV goes
out during hurricane .... We like to go for 3 or 4 days between Dec
27-Jan 2 depending on available and price. Considering I have not
driven in snow country, I like to find a place that has either pick up
service or short, slow tourist drive from major airport (we are in
south Fl and it take 8 hours+ just to get to next state line). Any
advice is welcome

Fly into Salt Lake City. Sleep in town. Take the bus up to Alta or
Brighton. You can either stay at a hotel on the bus line, or rent a car
and park at the bottom of the Canyon and take the bus up. It almost
never snows in SLC proper, so you won't have to drive in snow (or in
mountains either for that matter.) Alta has some of the easiest
beginner terrain anywhere. Brighton has lots of easy terrain as well.

BTW, XMas week is *the* most expensive time to rent accomodations near
ski resorts. You'll pay double or more most places. But not SLC -
rates don't balloon XMas week.

//Walt