SkiBanter

-   Alpine Skiing (moderated) (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Post-Hip Replacement Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=8687)

Allen Cochrane October 6th 03 09:24 PM

Post-Hip Replacement Skiing

I'm looking for contacts who have continued their skiing following hip
replacement surgery to discuss their experiences and take advantage of any
advice. I have a sister who is 48, will have the surgery within 6 months any
would like to continue to ski after her recuperation. All replies would be
appreciated or email me at the following:

--
Allen Cochrane

Gary S. October 6th 03 11:44 PM

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 15:24:03 CST, "Allen Cochrane"
wrote:

I'm looking for contacts who have continued their skiing following hip
replacement surgery to discuss their experiences and take advantage of any
advice. I have a sister who is 48, will have the surgery within 6 months any
would like to continue to ski after her recuperation. All replies would be
appreciated or email me at the following:

No personal experience, but I know people who have.

You need to work with your surgeon on your specific limitations,
general answers or what works for someone else are not helpful.

Also, following through on the gradual process of Physical Therapy
afterwards is extremely important, and not just for skiing.

She may only get 15-20 years out of a replacement hip with an active
lifestyle.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Kneale Brownson October 7th 03 01:00 PM

"Allen Cochrane" wrote in message news:ZVjgb.510906$cF.181701@rwcrnsc53...
I'm looking for contacts who have continued their skiing following hip
replacement surgery to discuss their experiences and take advantage of any
advice. I have a sister who is 48, will have the surgery within 6 months any
would like to continue to ski after her recuperation. All replies would be
appreciated or email me at the following:

In the archives of EpicSki.com you should be able to find postings by
skiers who have reported their experiences with leg joint
replacements. I know a couple of hip replacement recipients have
discussed their surgery aftermaths and several knee replacement skiers
have done the same. If they don't list their e-mail addresses,
EpicSki has a private messaging system you can use to try contacting
them.

Of course, your sister should consult her surgeon regarding skiing on
the implant. Some surgeons are adamant that such activities should
cease. She might want to choose a surgeon more supportive of
continued skiing because a supportive surgeon might have a better
approach or better replacement joint.

NE-skier October 13th 03 04:26 PM

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 07:00:05 CST, (Kneale
Brownson) wrote:

"Allen Cochrane" wrote in message news:ZVjgb.510906$cF.181701@rwcrnsc53...
I'm looking for contacts who have continued their skiing following hip
replacement surgery to discuss their experiences and take advantage of any
advice. I have a sister who is 48, will have the surgery within 6 months any
would like to continue to ski after her recuperation. All replies would be
appreciated or email me at the following:

In the archives of EpicSki.com you should be able to find postings by
skiers who have reported their experiences with leg joint
replacements.

Over on Epic, use the search function to search for the words, "hip" &
"replacement". One of these people is a professor of biomechanics at
a major univeristy, is *very* knowledgable in these matters, and a
genuine nice guy.