SkiBanter

-   Backcountry Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Loctite OK on K2 inserts? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=14986)

scott January 30th 07 02:20 AM

Loctite OK on K2 inserts?

Skis are 06/07 Hippy Stinx. Bindings are 06/07 Bomber Bishops. Screws
from Bomber.

Retightened after skiing but loosened the next ski day (front screw
visibly backed out by lunch at Whistler).

Is Loctite 222 (Threadlocker Low Strength/Small Screw) safe to use?
Thanks in advance.

VtSkier January 30th 07 02:54 AM

Loctite OK on K2 inserts?

scott wrote:
Skis are 06/07 Hippy Stinx. Bindings are 06/07 Bomber Bishops. Screws
from Bomber.

Retightened after skiing but loosened the next ski day (front screw
visibly backed out by lunch at Whistler).

Is Loctite 222 (Threadlocker Low Strength/Small Screw) safe to use?
Thanks in advance.

CHECK WITH YOUR MANUFACTURER, SOME FLAVORS OF LOCKTITE DISOLVE
FOAM CORES AND WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY, SEE WHAT K-2
RECOMENDS, DON'T JUST "DO IT".

A Ski, eh? If the hole is stripped, repair with heli-coil.
There may be something which works.

lal_truckee January 30th 07 04:02 PM

Loctite OK on K2 inserts?

Bob Lee wrote:
So I'm thinking
you should be fine putting Loctite in yours.

Traditionally a drop of wood glue was put in each hole before screws
were inserted - held securely and was pretty harmless - easy to remove
when required, as well. Also sealed the hole against moisture.

VtSkier January 30th 07 04:30 PM

Loctite OK on K2 inserts?

lal_truckee wrote:
Bob Lee wrote:
So I'm thinking you should be fine putting Loctite in yours.

Traditionally a drop of wood glue was put in each hole before screws
were inserted - held securely and was pretty harmless - easy to remove
when required, as well. Also sealed the hole against moisture.

I think Bob's answer is the right one. I would just add that
one should find out what flavor of LockTite K2 prefers. This
is, after all, a machine screw.

Snowboard bindings also come with a dab of blue LockTite
applied, but you are warned to use only the same kind of
LockTite because some varieties are harmful to materials
used in manufacture.