SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nordic centers in Maine & New Hampshire? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=15271)

[email protected] March 1st 07 05:43 PM

Nordic centers in Maine & New Hampshire?

I will be visiting both Maine & NH next week and would like to do some
skate skiing while there. Would people give be a few ideas that would
be places I should consider. Of course I want places that have enough
snow & good grooming/conditions.I enjoy skiing longer distances-not
dinky little 2km loops or so. Mixed terrain is good. Cheap is good too
and I will need reasonable places to stay in each area.
Many thanks for your help.
Greg

[email protected] March 1st 07 07:24 PM

On Mar 1, 1:43 pm, wrote:
I will be visiting both Maine & NH next week and would like to do some
skate skiing while there. Would people give be a few ideas that would
be places I should consider. Of course I want places that have enough
snow & good grooming/conditions.I enjoy skiing longer distances-not
dinky little 2km loops or so. Mixed terrain is good. Cheap is good too
and I will need reasonable places to stay in each area.
Many thanks for your help.
Greg

Maine:
Pinelands in New Gloucester is quite nice. http://www.pinelandfarms.org/recreation/index.htm

Mark

Lew Lasher March 2nd 07 12:42 AM

wrote:

I will be visiting both Maine & NH next week and would like to do some
skate skiing while there. Would people give be a few ideas that would
be places I should consider.

In New Hampshire, the first place to consider is Jackson
(
http://www.jacksonxc.org/). They have a large, diverse,
well-maintained trail system, the town of Jackson is very pleasant, and
there are cheap places to stay in nearby Bartlett and North Conway.

Two other very good places to ski in N.H. are Waterville Valley (very
well designed trails) (http://www.waterville.com/winter/index.asp) and
Bretton Woods (great scenery) (http://www.brettonwoods.com/).

For N.H. cross-country conditions, see http://www.xcskinh.com/snow.cfm .

I'm less familiar with Maine, but one place I've been to a couple of
times that has a large, well maintained trail system (probably the
largest in Maine) is Sugarloaf
(http://www.sugarloaf.com/nordic_center.html).

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont

Chris W March 2nd 07 03:43 AM

On Mar 1, 1:43?pm, wrote:
I will be visiting both Maine & NH next week and would like to do some
skate skiing while there. Would people give be a few ideas that would
be places I should consider. Of course I want places that have enough
snow & good grooming/conditions.I enjoy skiing longer distances-not
dinky little 2km loops or so. Mixed terrain is good. Cheap is good too
and I will need reasonable places to stay in each area.
Many thanks for your help.
Greg

Balsams Wilderness has great trails and usually lots of snow. You can
stay at a B&B in Colebrook NH....call the Chamber of Commerce or check
the web.