SkiBanter

-   North American Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Off-Piste? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=6948)

caprio December 15th 04 08:31 PM

Off-Piste?

Hey all,

I know that this question may seem very silly, but I ask that you all have "sympathy" for me...born in UTAH land of Fluffy White pristine powder...and moved to East Coast Canada...nothin' but rolling HILLS and cold freezing rain..heheh =P

This Christmas holiday I will returning to the place of my birth...UTAH for a week of blissful skiing...

so my question is this:

I always hear about "off-piste" skiing and i've come to learn that these are usually "unmarked" trails on the bigger mountains. How would I go abouts finding these well-kept secrets without finding myself in a complete bind (ie ending up on the opposite front of the mountain with no way back).

Are there guides for hire, or is it safe for me to venture onto these trails without prior knowledge?

Any guidance or further information would be greatly appreciated!

~alex

miles January 15th 05 11:12 PM

caprio wrote:

Are there guides for hire, or is it safe for me to venture onto these
trails without prior knowledge?

Go with a reputable guide. There are many around SLC area. Otherwise
you'll end up as another statistic flattened by a back country
avalanche. Happens every year.

There are also some lift served back country skiing in Colorado.
Silverton Ski area has a single lift and offers guided back country
skiing. It is rated 100% expert skiers only and by reservation. Wolf
Creek, CO now has a lift serving its waterfall area that is all
ungroomed trails.