SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Base Oil (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=27252)

skikick June 18th 12 11:20 PM

Base Oil

Has anyone ever used base oil? What does it do that regular wax doesn't?

Thanks!

gr[_4_] June 19th 12 01:05 AM

Base Oil

On 6/18/2012 7:20 PM, skikick wrote:
Has anyone ever used base oil? What does it do that regular wax
doesn't?

Thanks!

I give up.... what is it? Who makes it?
I have used NOTWAX which is a Teflon type liquid that works with wax,
seems to help with real wet snow and prevents sticking.
gr

finnFTW June 19th 12 06:14 AM

Base Oil

Skikick is probably talking about Rex Base Oil. I used it and like it
alot. After the treatment my skis are nice and "oily/greasy". I always
do the treatment for my new skis, after stone grinding, and after
thorough cleaning.

Here's what Rex website has to say:

"Rex Fluor Base Oil makes the base preparation of all new skis
definitely easier. Apply a thin layer of oil and let it absorb into the
base, the longer the better - e.g. overnight. Wipe away any leftover
oil and continue with base wax and Rex Blue 423. One treatment with
base oil and paraffin is equal to 2-3 wax treatments. Treat skis with
Base Oil also after stone grinding."

http://rex.fi/en/accessories/removers-and-ski-care/

I hope this helps.
-Finn

skikick June 28th 12 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnFTW (Post 169332)
Skikick is probably talking about Rex Base Oil. I used it and like it
alot. After the treatment my skis are nice and "oily/greasy". I always
do the treatment for my new skis, after stone grinding, and after
thorough cleaning.

Yes, the Rex base oil was what I wondering about. Thanks Finn.

Guess I should have read the description a little closer regarding it's actual properties (i.e. similar properties to prep wax). Seems that it's similar in purpose, just a different application process!

Still wondering there are any advantages using base oil in terms of changes to the ski base.

I am sure if there are, this will catch on...