SkiBanter

-   Alpine Skiing (moderated) (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   USSA Beijing-style crackdown (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=15124)

Mike February 15th 07 06:16 AM

USSA Beijing-style crackdown

Curfews, group living etc. The AP write up mentioned it was all aimed at
Bode, but didn't mention that half of the speed events this year have been
cancelled, and this is Bode's last year.

I'm all for the US getting results, but isn't the 'wine, women and song'
atmosphere international in scope?

lal_truckee February 15th 07 04:22 PM

USSA Beijing-style crackdown

Mike wrote:
... all aimed at Bode ...

Actually all aimed at idiot sponsors who're afraid their idiot customers
might take offense at someone actually having fun.

Three points:
()Was this "repression" the last significant idiocy of the Bushkultura?
()As near as I can tell, Bode was the ONLY participant in the Winter
Olympics who understood what it was all about - a gathering of
international athletes to promote harmony and understanding, competition
secondary. He was right - it's about the party, not the races. Go read
some of the founding documents of the Olympic movement.
()You don't have to be part of a team to compete in WC races - Bode
should have blown the USSA off and competed on his own; I bet he would
have made far more money off the Europeans than he pulls down now.

Marty February 15th 07 07:30 PM

On Feb 15, 9:22 am, lal_truckee wrote:
Mike wrote:
... all aimed at Bode ...

Actually all aimed at idiot sponsors who're afraid their idiot customers
might take offense at someone actually having fun.

Three points:
()Was this "repression" the last significant idiocy of the Bushkultura?
()As near as I can tell, Bode was the ONLY participant in the Winter
Olympics who understood what it was all about - a gathering of
international athletes to promote harmony and understanding, competition
secondary. He was right - it's about the party, not the races. Go read
some of the founding documents of the Olympic movement.
()You don't have to be part of a team to compete in WC races - Bode
should have blown the USSA off and competed on his own; I bet he would
have made far more money off the Europeans than he pulls down now.

Yes, yes, and yes.

And Mike, where did you hear that this was Bode's last year?
--
Marty

Mary Malmros February 15th 07 08:23 PM

USSA Beijing-style crackdown

"Mike" wrote in
:

Curfews, group living etc. The AP write up mentioned it was all aimed
at Bode, but didn't mention that half of the speed events this year
have been cancelled, and this is Bode's last year.

I'm all for the US getting results, but isn't the 'wine, women and
song' atmosphere international in scope?

It's messed up. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall
somewhere in Europe last season when the (ski-racing-ignorant) American
public got whipped into a froth over the idea of a ski racer -- gasp --
having a drink after a race. I bet the Europeans were laughing their asses
off at the insane control-freak reaction. Curfews aren't new on the US
team, but seriously enforced curfews may be.

Jeff Davis February 16th 07 12:17 AM

USSA Beijing-style crackdown

In article ,
Mike wrote:

I'm all for the US getting results, but isn't the 'wine, women and song'
atmosphere international in scope?

It worked for Peyton Manning. Miami was a Colts business trip.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Mike February 19th 07 12:47 AM

USSA Beijing-style crackdown

"Marty" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 15, 9:22 am, lal_truckee wrote:
Three points:
()Was this "repression" the last significant idiocy of the Bushkultura?

Just two more years till the bill is presented.

()As near as I can tell, Bode was the ONLY participant in the Winter
Olympics who understood what it was all about - a gathering of
international athletes to promote harmony and understanding, competition
secondary. He was right - it's about the party, not the races. Go read
some of the founding documents of the Olympic movement.
()You don't have to be part of a team to compete in WC races - Bode
should have blown the USSA off and competed on his own; I bet he would
have made far more money off the Europeans than he pulls down now.

Like the Jaerbyn guy; what's up with him? I have the WC championship DH
(men & women) on tape and will have to examine it further.

And Mike, where did you hear that this was Bode's last year?

Must have been hearsay back in '05 to the effect that Ralves was out next
year and that Miller was leaving the year after. But maybe I am plain wrong
here.

What I was trying to get at was whether the European teams (France, Italy
and the Empire i.e., Austria) have partying atmospheres.

I think I remember sponsor hesitancy, for whatever reason, being the reason
there's only one event in the US currently.

My criticism of the USSA would be its labyrinth nature. I remember showing
up for a Juniors race back in the 70's, only to be told it wasn't my age
group. I ended up gate keeping. Even today it seems daunting to try and
tell a young person how get to the competitions.