SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   air temperature and waxes (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=27613)

Neil January 24th 13 08:20 AM

air temperature and waxes

Dear All,
How useful a guide is air temperature for waxes. I was out in +6 but a blue.
I should point out that I tend not to pack a thermometer when ski touring.
wax -6 to 0 worked fine.

[email protected] January 24th 13 09:01 AM

air temperature and waxes

The meterologist-skier running a site in the upper midwest once told me
that snow temp follows air temp by about two hours. For planning in
advance, I use the NWS hourlies for the location or nearby where the
lat-long is known, or the SNOTEL data reports for a closeby location.
The latter go back a week.

Gene

Ben Kaufman January 24th 13 06:13 PM

air temperature and waxes

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:20:16 -0000, "Neil" wrote:

Dear All,
How useful a guide is air temperature for waxes. I was out in +6 but a blue.
I should point out that I tend not to pack a thermometer when ski touring.
wax -6 to 0 worked fine.

If I recall, using a colder temp glide wax in warmer conditions is more
forgiving than using a warmer temp wax in colder conditions.

(happy to be corrected about this if I am wrong - or confirmed if I'm right)

Ben

Neil January 26th 13 12:38 AM

air temperature and waxes

I suspect your right, although I was out on the same blue wax -6 to 0,
today. Fluffy but wet snow, always the worst, and I was balling up. I hadn't
put new wax on for 2 days.