SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alpina CSK/RSK boots for roller skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=28144)

[email protected] November 24th 13 12:18 PM

Alpina CSK/RSK boots for roller skiing

Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses these boots for roller skiing. I tried them both, and while the fit was great, even with a fairly stiff cuff they didn't seem to provide a lot of ankle support. Also, they had this weird curved outsole that, while providing an curiously springy ride, didn't let the ski return to the boot after push-off (wheel hang). Finally, although they look great (white/red) the upper seems too fragile for roller ski duty. Maybe a snow-only boot?

[email protected] November 24th 13 03:32 PM

Alpina CSK/RSK boots for roller skiing

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 05:18:35 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses these boots for roller skiing. I
tried them both, and while the fit was great, even with a fairly
stiff cuff they didn't seem to provide a lot of ankle support. Also,
they had this weird curved outsole that, while providing an curiously
springy ride, didn't let the ski return to the boot after push-off
(wheel hang). Finally, although they look great (white/red) the upper
seems too fragile for roller ski duty. Maybe a snow-only boot?

Been dealing with Jamie? Good luck. Peter Hale, the Madshus rep and
great guy who you may have seen just passed last Sunday, sold me a pair
of the all red Alpina skate boots a couple of years ago, I think the SK
Skate, which was top of the line in 2006 or so, I think. Scroll down
to 2006 models at
http://www.nordicskater.com/bootskate.html
Nordicskater.com. They work well. With skate boots and at least
rollerskis, I don't think it pays to save. OTOH, with classical
rollerskiing, a combi down a line or two or three from the top usually
works well (in older models, Salomon Active, Fischer RC5, etc.).

Gene

[email protected] November 24th 13 08:14 PM

Alpina CSK/RSK boots for roller skiing

No, haven't spoken to any of those folks, at least not recently. If that 2006 boot was top of the line, it has to be the TCS (with a carbon cuff). Looks solid (at least the upper doesn't appear paper-thin like what the CSK has), but Nordicskater site says they don't have my size.

[email protected] November 25th 13 04:30 PM

Alpina CSK/RSK boots for roller skiing

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 13:14:37 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

No, haven't spoken to any of those folks, at least not recently. If
that 2006 boot was top of the line, it has to be the TCS (with a
carbon cuff). Looks solid (at least the upper doesn't appear
paper-thin like what the CSK has), but Nordicskater site says they
don't have my size.

No, it's the SK Skate, but like the business the links on the
site aren't very helpful. Go to XC boots by Alpina (left), choose
the link for Alpina Racing and then well down the resulting page you'll
find the section that says "2006 model boots: Maximum ankle support.
(While supplies last.)." Mine is the red one top left.

Gene

[email protected] November 27th 13 12:24 PM

Alpina CSK/RSK boots for roller skiing

OK, got it. How did the high heel (at least it looks high compared with more recent models) feel to you? Seems it's gone the opposite way since then, what with wedges and the new no-heel ESK pro from Alpina itself. My concern would be that with elevated heel, the toes would be sliding forward (potentially painful) while the heel is loose.

[email protected] November 28th 13 10:57 PM

Alpina CSK/RSK boots for roller skiing

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 05:24:24 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

OK, got it. How did the high heel (at least it looks high compared
with more recent models) feel to you? Seems it's gone the opposite
way since then, what with wedges and the new no-heel ESK pro from
Alpina itself. My concern would be that with elevated heel, the toes
would be sliding forward (potentially painful) while the heel is
loose.

I haven't gotten involved with the wedge and is boot variations, so
don't know (and won't be finding out anytime soon, since instead of
checking out the new models down at West yhis week, I had a torn rotator
cuff repaired). I did find the Alpina's ankle support quite sufficient,
or I wouldnt have kept with them. But to each their ankle support
needs...

Gene