SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   training question (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=15625)

mike May 18th 07 03:09 AM

training question

Hi all, I have started riding my bike to work it takes me about 70
min. one way. Can I count this time as training hours? and it kind of
like a two workout day 60-70 min in the mroning and then 60-70 at
night. If i stay in my zones and work some intervals in the ride I
should be ok right? or am i just dreaming and wasting my time.
thanks mike

Jim Flom May 18th 07 03:51 AM

training question

"mike" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all, I have started riding my bike to work it takes me about 70
min. one way. Can I count this time as training hours? and it kind of
like a two workout day 60-70 min in the mroning and then 60-70 at
night. If i stay in my zones and work some intervals in the ride I
should be ok right? or am i just dreaming and wasting my time.
thanks mike

If you're serious about using the commute for intervals, or any good mixture
of workouts (see Friel, The Cyclists Training Bible
http://www2.trainingbible.com/about.htm for some), especially in the
off-season, you can absolutely use these kinds of workouts for
cross-training.

JF

Marsh Jones May 18th 07 07:55 PM

training question

mike wrote:
Hi all, I have started riding my bike to work it takes me about 70
min. one way. Can I count this time as training hours? and it kind of
like a two workout day 60-70 min in the mroning and then 60-70 at
night. If i stay in my zones and work some intervals in the ride I
should be ok right? or am i just dreaming and wasting my time.
thanks mike

Absolutely - as long as it's quality miles. I commute a couple of times
a week, and try to use it for specific things - morning is 'steady
state' (or as steady as I can be at 5:00), kept in zone; and afternoon,
I tend to use for some pickups and hills (ok, inclines - this is
Minneapolis!). Both of the days I normally commute I have other
non-bike workouts planned, so this is just an easy way to get some
reasonably good quality aerobic work. (and feel good about saving the
environment, blah, blah, blah).

Marsh J
New Brighton, MN