SkiBanter

-   Alpine Skiing (moderated) (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help! RSAM still not working on my server (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=8937)

Alan Baker December 8th 04 12:23 AM

Help! RSAM still not working on my server

Well...

It isn't, but it is.

Can someone who understands how this stuff works tell me why the
messages to RSAM only show up if I tell the server to load some
ridiculously large number of messages?

If I look at my groups window, it never shows any new messages for RSAM,
and if I tell it to load the newest 100 or so, the list of messages is
incomplete vs. telling it to load the newest 5000, at which point I get
a list of the actual newest messages.

What's going on?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

VtSkier December 8th 04 12:53 AM

Alan Baker wrote:
Well...

It isn't, but it is.

Can someone who understands how this stuff works tell me why the
messages to RSAM only show up if I tell the server to load some
ridiculously large number of messages?

If I look at my groups window, it never shows any new messages for RSAM,
and if I tell it to load the newest 100 or so, the list of messages is
incomplete vs. telling it to load the newest 5000, at which point I get
a list of the actual newest messages.

What's going on?

Alan,
Who is your news server? I had trouble with my local ISP and RSAM, but
have no trouble at all with news.individual.net (formerly news.csi.de),
lots of folks here use them seemingly with good success.
VtSkier

Alan Baker December 9th 04 01:05 AM

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
Well...

It isn't, but it is.

Can someone who understands how this stuff works tell me why the
messages to RSAM only show up if I tell the server to load some
ridiculously large number of messages?

If I look at my groups window, it never shows any new messages for RSAM,
and if I tell it to load the newest 100 or so, the list of messages is
incomplete vs. telling it to load the newest 5000, at which point I get
a list of the actual newest messages.

What's going on?

Alan,
Who is your news server? I had trouble with my local ISP and RSAM, but
have no trouble at all with news.individual.net (formerly news.csi.de),
lots of folks here use them seemingly with good success.
VtSkier

I'm using news.telus.net, and I only saw this reply because I once again
told my newsreader to fetch the 4000 newest articles in order to get it
to actually return with 129.

lal_truckee December 9th 04 03:42 PM

Alan Baker wrote:

I'm using news.telus.net, and I only saw this reply because I once again
told my newsreader to fetch the 4000 newest articles in order to get it
to actually return with 129.

Sounds like a news reader problem more than a server problem?