SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When it's not your time to die (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=20057)

The Older Gentleman[_2_] March 11th 10 06:53 PM

When it's not your time to die

Just had a call from an old friend. Like us, she went skiing at
half-term, with her daughter. And she took a tumble and (it turned out)
did her cruciate ligaments in one knee.

Anyway, she was very high up at Les Arcs, and for some reason the
ski-doo blood wagon couldn't get to her, or there wasn't one available
anyway, so she was loaded into the old-fashioned stretcher with one
rescue bod fore and one aft. You know the things.

And off they set. "All you can see is sky," she said "because you're
strapped in."

And then there was a loud *CRACK*. That was one of the handles breaking
off, that was. And off went the stretcher, with nobody holding it, and
her still strapped in.

It didn't slide. It rolled. Snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky and by
the grace of God she still had her helmet and goggles on as her face was
being mashed into the snow on every revolution.

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F Triumph Street Triple
Suzuki TS250ER GN250 Damn, back to six bikes!

Nige March 11th 10 07:02 PM

When it's not your time to die

On 11/03/2010 19:53, The Older Gentleman wrote:

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Now & again you get a break, i had one the other week with the
windscreen episode :)

Colin Irvine[_4_] March 11th 10 07:06 PM

When it's not your time to die

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
the following:

[...]

Bloody hell.

I'm surprised one handle breaking meant losing the whole thing.

--
Colin Irvine

zymurgy March 11th 10 07:13 PM

When it's not your time to die

On Mar 11, 8:06*pm, Colin Irvine wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
the following:

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did.

Bloody hell.

I'm surprised one handle breaking meant losing the whole thing.

I thought he did bloody well, it's damn slippery out there. [1]

Paul.

[1] Well, you started it with wheeling out the old joke
punchlines ... ;) [2]
[2] For bonus points, name that joke.

Champ March 11th 10 07:54 PM

When it's not your time to die

(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

[...]

Good god. Never heard a story like that before.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

Thomas March 11th 10 09:05 PM

When it's not your time to die

On Mar 11, 11:53*am, (The Older
Gentleman) wrote:
Just had a call from an old friend. Like us, she went skiing at
half-term, with her daughter. And she took a tumble and (it turned out)
did her cruciate ligaments in one knee....
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice.

The Fickle Finger of Fate. And if the bitch is fickle enough, just as
the lady walks out of the hospital, she gets run over by a lunatic
cager.

Colin Irvine[_4_] March 11th 10 09:57 PM

When it's not your time to die

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:13:19 -0800 (PST), zymurgy squeezed out the
following:

On Mar 11, 8:06*pm, Colin Irvine wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman squeezed out
the following:

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did.

Bloody hell.

I'm surprised one handle breaking meant losing the whole thing.

I thought he did bloody well, it's damn slippery out there. [1]

Paul.

[1] Well, you started it with wheeling out the old joke
punchlines ... ;) [2]
[2] For bonus points, name that joke.

Can't figure it out.

--
Colin Irvine

ts March 11th 10 10:17 PM

When it's not your time to die

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend.

(snip)
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Divine intervention.

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

--
ts in Surrey // to send e-mail, remove vehicle
K-RS 8v, 80/7, 750SS

YTC#1[_2_] March 12th 10 11:40 AM

When it's not your time to die

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:17:10 +0000, ts wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend.

(snip)
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Divine intervention.

There is no god, if there had been, none of the above would have happened
:-)

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

--
Bruce Porter
XJR1300SP, XJ900F, GSX250, Pegaso 650 Trail

YTC#1[_2_] March 12th 10 11:43 AM

When it's not your time to die

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend. Like us, she went skiing at half-term,
with her daughter. And she took a tumble and (it turned out) did her
cruciate ligaments in one knee.

Anyway, she was very high up at Les Arcs, and for some reason the ski-doo
blood wagon couldn't get to her, or there wasn't one available anyway, so
she was loaded into the old-fashioned stretcher with one rescue bod fore
and one aft. You know the things.

And off they set. "All you can see is sky," she said "because you're
strapped in."

And then there was a loud *CRACK*. That was one of the handles breaking
off, that was. And off went the stretcher, with nobody holding it, and her
still strapped in.

If only 1 handle broke, what was

a) The guy holding with hand 2 ? (assuming 2 per end)
b) The guy at the other end holding ?

TOG@Toil March 12th 10 12:19 PM

When it's not your time to die

On 12 Mar, 12:43, YTC#1 wrote:
[...]

Absolutely no idea. As (I assume, as it rolled rather than slid) they
were traversing at the time (she said the crunch happened on a steep
mogul field), one guy probably just couldn't hold it.

YTC#1[_2_] March 12th 10 12:44 PM

When it's not your time to die

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 05:19:24 -0800, TOG@Toil wrote:

On 12 Mar, 12:43, YTC#1 wrote:
[...]

So, lets get this straight, while taking an injured person off the
mountain, the smarty pants rescue bods decided to have some fun in a mogul
field :-)

Alex Heney March 12th 10 10:15 PM

When it's not your time to die

On 12 Mar, 12:43, YTC#1 wrote:
[...]

If it was somewhere they couldn't get a ski-doo to, they probably
didn't have much choice in the matter.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Hey! Who took the cork off my lunch??!

SP March 13th 10 01:20 AM

When it's not your time to die

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend.

(snip)
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue

bods caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have
thought: "Oh well, we're not going to get that one back."

Divine intervention.

There is no god, if there had been, none of the above would have
happened :-)

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

--
Lesley
Residing in the Capital of Culture 2008

Ace[_3_] March 13th 10 05:35 AM

When it's not your time to die

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 02:20:56 GMT, "SP" wrote:

YTC#1 wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:17:10 +0000, ts wrote:

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

No. They don't. If a ligament is stretched or partially torn, the only
healing will be to the other damaged tissues around it. The ligament
itself will remain in its stretched state[1]. If it's snapped it's
snapped forever.

ACL replacement surgery is very common these days, which usually takes
the hamstring tendon, split in half down the middle, together with the
bone it's attached to, and screws it in place of where the ligament
used to be. Tendon and ligament are effectively the same material, but
the former is in a more 'live' state which can regrow and heal,
whereas once it's stopped being pulled by muscles all the time it
stabilises into another more static state.

[1] Which is why I'm destined to be taking painkillers for the rest of
my life, after all the ligaments attaching my ribs to my spine were
ripped and torn by my big smash a few years ago.
--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/

Ace[_3_] March 13th 10 05:38 AM

When it's not your time to die

On 12 Mar, 12:43, YTC#1 wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:53:33 +0000, The Older Gentleman wrote:

And then there was a loud *CRACK*. That was one of the handles
breaking off, that was. And off went the stretcher, with nobody
holding it, and her still strapped in.

If only 1 handle broke, what was

a) The guy holding with hand 2 ? (assuming 2 per end) b) The guy at the
other end holding ?

There are different types of sledge used, some with handles at both
ends for two people and some just at one.

Absolutely no idea. As (I assume, as it rolled rather than slid) they were
traversing at the time (she said the crunch happened on a steep mogul
field), one guy probably just couldn't hold it.

So, lets get this straight, while taking an injured person off the
mountain, the smarty pants rescue bods decided to have some fun in a mogul
field :-)

I've assisted at incidents where they've had to get the victom dowm
moguls. Generally they just go straight down. Not fun for the poor sap
strapped in, and a hell of a lot of work for the piste guys too.

If it was somewhere they couldn't get a ski-doo to, they probably
didn't have much choice in the matter.

Indeed.

Tosspot March 13th 10 06:57 AM

When it's not your time to die

The Older Gentleman wrote:

Just had a call from an old friend.

(snip)
It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Divine intervention.

There is no god, if there had been, none of the above would have happened
:-)

I've reached the conclusion god hates me because I'm an atheist and
that's one thing that really winds him up.

****.

Champ March 13th 10 08:45 AM

When it's not your time to die

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 02:20:56 GMT, "SP" wrote:

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

Wrong.
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

ts March 13th 10 10:22 AM

When it's not your time to die

YTC#1 wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:17:10 +0000, ts wrote:

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

. . . .

ACL replacement surgery is very common these days,

That's rather what I was thinking of - a knee that eventually works.

Domenec March 13th 10 04:15 PM

When it's not your time to die

"Alex Heney" escribió en el mensaje de noticias

If it was somewhere they couldn't get a ski-doo to, they probably
didn't have much choice in the matter.

Helicopter, but he didn't survive :-/

Plase wear helmet, that's all.

Pip[_2_] March 13th 10 05:35 PM

When it's not your time to die

Domènec wrote:

Helicopter, but he didn't survive :-/

Coo, it's been a Hislop-free while. Or is it Macrae, these days?

--
Pip: B12

Domenec March 13th 10 10:29 PM

When it's not your time to die

"Pip" escribió en el mensaje de noticias
Domènec wrote:

Helicopter, but he didn't survive :-/

Coo, it's been a Hislop-free while. Or is it Macrae, these days?

Father of friend of mine, while we were skiing together.

Ace[_3_] March 13th 10 11:41 PM

When it's not your time to die

Domènec wrote:

Helicopter, but he didn't survive :-/

Coo, it's been a Hislop-free while. Or is it Macrae, these days?

Father of friend of mine, while we were skiing together.

Bummer.

BTW Ski helmets, while better perhaps than cycling ones, still aren't
much protection against severe impatct.

YTC#1[_2_] March 14th 10 06:58 PM

When it's not your time to die

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 09:45:12 +0000, Champ wrote:

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 02:20:56 GMT, "SP" wrote:

I hope she'll enjoy several decades of pleasant life, as soon the
ligaments heal.

Ligaments don't heal :-(

Yes they do. Eventually...

Wrong.

whay Champs and I agree on something :-)

Indeed, I have a few that are more akin to elestic these days -(

Pip Luscher[_3_] March 21st 10 01:18 PM

When it's not your time to die

(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

It didn't slide. It rolled. Snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky and by
the grace of God she still had her helmet and goggles on as her face was
being mashed into the snow on every revolution.

Must've been the worst feeling in the world, strapped in with no
control. Are one's arms even free in those things?

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Well, quite. Hundreds of Euros' worth of kit.

Seriously though, very glad it didn't end in disaster.

--
-Pip

Ace[_3_] March 21st 10 04:28 PM

When it's not your time to die

(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

It didn't slide. It rolled. Snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky-snow-sky and by
the grace of God she still had her helmet and goggles on as her face was
being mashed into the snow on every revolution.

Must've been the worst feeling in the world, strapped in with no
control. Are one's arms even free in those things?

No, they're strapped in. You can't move a thing.

Eugene Miya March 22nd 10 11:45 PM

When it's not your time to die

In article o.uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
anyway, so she was loaded into the old-fashioned stretcher with one
rescue bod fore and one aft. You know the things.

Stokes litter.

It came to a halt 10 feet from the edge of a precipice. The rescue bods
caught up "looking shocked". I bet they did. They must have thought: "Oh
well, we're not going to get that one back."

Other similar Alpine horror stories exist.

An old roommate's favorite was from a long view. Said person fell and
slide a long rough way. The viewers from a distance was certain the
falling distance had killed the person. Part of the way down, the one
speck of a person separate and became two. They were certain the
climber has been cut in two.

After a few moments, one of the halves started crawling slowing to
the other half. The distant viewers could not believe this was
happening.

The 2nd dot was their pack.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

CS[_2_] April 2nd 10 06:26 PM

When it's not your time to die

ACL replacement surgery is very common these days, which usually takes
the hamstring tendon, split in half down the middle, together with the
bone it's attached to, and screws it in place of where the ligament
used to be. Tendon and ligament are effectively the same material, but
the former is in a more 'live' state which can regrow and heal,
whereas once it's stopped being pulled by muscles all the time it
stabilises into another more static state.

Our 18 month old Heinz 57 dog did an ACL running through a hedge.
After vet had operated and we got dog back, it was clear that the
"ankle" and "thigh" had been nailed to a board, JC fashion, in the mid
position whilst the ACL was rebuilt and resewn. Dog was fine and
lived another 16 years with no trace of stiffness.

[email protected] March 12th 14 07:20 PM

When it's not your time to die

Ace wrote in 2010:

BTW Ski helmets, while better perhaps than cycling ones, still aren't
much protection against severe impatct.

Chilling. I wish you were not right.