SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   fahnestock winter park, NY (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=9704)

[email protected] March 9th 05 09:34 PM

fahnestock winter park, NY

Is skiing likely to be any good there this weekend?

John Forrest Tomlinson March 9th 05 11:24 PM

On 9 Mar 2005 14:34:25 -0800, wrote:

Is skiing likely to be any good there this weekend?

It'll be open, but I'm not sure how good because it's been so windy
the snow is getting blown around -- it might be patchy. I'm going
Saturday anyway.

Update from Kuznia is below

JFT

From: "swixblue"
Date: Wed Mar 9, 2005 6:14 pm
Subject: FWP Update

All trails are open. They have been packed and/or groomed. Tracks
(10km) have been set on all the Stillwater Trails. In the morning
when wind subsides, we'll track the field and possibly CCC and
Hemlock. Lake has some slushy spots. Trails have a 4" to 8" snow
cover. Good late season trail conditons on a variable surface that
includes - mostly powder, some hard pack and ice. There are drifts
on upper ridges and some thin spots due to the wind moving snow to
the rigdelines. Snow is in the forecast for Friday. Hope to see you
soon!

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit
http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

[email protected] March 10th 05 04:04 AM

thank you, JT!

Ben Kaufman March 10th 05 02:32 PM

On 9 Mar 2005 14:34:25 -0800, wrote:

Is skiing likely to be any good there this weekend?

Andre,

For me it just means not scraping the crap out of my skis on exposed rocks.
Do you get the Fahnestock updates? Paul said they got 5" of snow the other day
and things were pretty good with a few bare sports caused by the high winds.

Ben

[email protected] March 10th 05 07:09 PM

I skied classic at Fahnestock this morning from 9 to 12 and the
conditions were quite good all over. They hadn't yet tracked the
trails next to the lake (e.g. CCC loop) but they were rolled out and
quite skiable anyway. I saw only one bare spot, toward the end of the
outer Stillwater loop where it frequently washes out. Blue wax worked
fine except for the sun-drenched south-facing spots later in the
morning. Nice packed powder prevailed because it was still well below
freezing in the morning. Might not be as good this weekend since it's
supposed to get warmer.

Jim

Gary Jacobson March 11th 05 12:30 AM

Possible/ quite possible that we'll get some serious snow Fri-Sat.

Gary
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is skiing likely to be any good there this weekend?

Ben Kaufman March 11th 05 02:29 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:30:58 GMT, "Gary Jacobson"
wrote:

Possible/ quite possible that we'll get some serious snow Fri-Sat.

Gary
wrote in message
roups.com...
Is skiing likely to be any good there this weekend?

Sorry Gary, you threw in the towel already. :-)

[email protected] March 11th 05 04:28 AM

Gary, does Mohonk groom for skating?

Gary Jacobson wrote:
Possible/ quite possible that we'll get some serious snow Fri-Sat.

Gary
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is skiing likely to be any good there this weekend?

Jim Grau March 11th 05 12:37 PM

Mohonk grooms everywhere for skating -- about 50k of skatable trails.
And, like at Fahnestock, the guys in charge of dong the grooming are
also good skiers.

Jim

[email protected] February 9th 13 09:47 PM

fahnestock winter park, NY

How are the trails looking for tomorrow? 2/10/13 Sunday