SkiBanter

-   European Ski Resorts (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   London FOAKs - Hotels around Leicester Square ? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=18279)

Ace[_3_] February 2nd 09 08:59 AM

London FOAKs - Hotels around Leicester Square ?

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 08:52:59 +0000, Colin Irvine
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 09:03:16 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 22:26:33 +0000, Colin Irvine
wrote:

Newcastle that evening and Eurostar to the Alps the next morning, and

Where?

Meribel. Having stayed in Val Thorens early season a couple of times,
with many of the connections not working, we thought we should see the
whole 3V at least once in our lifetime.

Ahh, right. If you're not feeling rich at the mo I suggest taking a
packed lunch.

I've never had a problem getting all the way from VT to Courcheval and
back, but clearly YMV. Some great skiing there, no question, and
you'll soon find out where the regular icy patches develop on the
pinch-points around Meribel and Mottaret ;-)

Enjoy.

Colin Irvine[_4_] February 2nd 09 10:09 AM

London FOAKs - Hotels around Leicester Square ?

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 09:59:50 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

wrote:

Newcastle that evening and Eurostar to the Alps the next morning, and

Where?

Meribel. Having stayed in Val Thorens early season a couple of times,
with many of the connections not working, we thought we should see the
whole 3V at least once in our lifetime.

Ahh, right. If you're not feeling rich at the mo I suggest taking a
packed lunch.

Given we're at a chalet with free wine [1] we won't have much to spend
our money on other than soup, chips and vin chaud at lunchtime.

I've never had a problem getting all the way from VT to Courcheval and
back, but clearly YMV.

Quite, but at Pat's speed and strength it wouldn't have given us much
time to explore once there.

Some great skiing there, no question, and
you'll soon find out where the regular icy patches develop on the
pinch-points around Meribel and Mottaret ;-)

No doubt.

Enjoy.

Ta!

[1] using the term loosely

--
Colin Irvine
ZZR1400 BOF#33 BONY#34 COFF#06 BHaLC#5

Roger Moss[_2_] February 2nd 09 10:16 AM

London FOAKs - Hotels around Leicester Square ? a.k.a. 3V skiing...

wrote:

Newcastle that evening and Eurostar to the Alps the next morning, and

Where?

Meribel. Having stayed in Val Thorens early season a couple of times,
with many of the connections not working, we thought we should see the
whole 3V at least once in our lifetime.

Ahh, right. If you're not feeling rich at the mo I suggest taking a
packed lunch.

I've never had a problem getting all the way from VT to Courcheval and
back, but clearly YMV. Some great skiing there, no question, and
you'll soon find out where the regular icy patches develop on the
pinch-points around Meribel and Mottaret ;-)

Enjoy.

Saulire was a bit lumpy/moguled on both sides last weekend - and might be
more so with the forecast fresh falls.

More ice here and there over the more exposed sections of ridge above
Saint-Martin-de-Belleville (a worthwhile excursion) too, but really this
year's snow is a real dream.

Talking of ice, a couple of the return runs into Méribel and Mottaret get
squeezed by netting right at their base, so everyone turns and rubs off the
snow, to reveal the icy stuff below - once you've hit this and had your
'moment' you can spend a few entertaining minutes watching others
approaching theirs... :-)

Enjoy 3V!

Roger

www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude

Ace[_3_] February 2nd 09 10:22 AM

London FOAKs - Hotels around Leicester Square ? a.k.a. 3V skiing...

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:16:40 +0100, "Roger Moss"
wrote:

Talking of ice, a couple of the return runs into Méribel and Mottaret get
squeezed by netting right at their base, so everyone turns and rubs off the
snow, to reveal the icy stuff below - once you've hit this and had your
'moment' you can spend a few entertaining minutes watching others
approaching theirs... :-)

Indeed, it's those I was thinking of. One year I repped in VT on my
Pocket Rockets, possibly the worst ice-ski ever made. Every time we
approached these areas I'd say to my group "this bit isn't really
_that_ bad, so please don't look at me, as I'll be all over the shop
on it, just hanging in there until I find some grip. You lot have got
decent skis so you'll be fine.".

I don't think they ever really believed me :-}

Colin Irvine[_4_] February 2nd 09 05:07 PM

London FOAKs - Hotels around Leicester Square ? a.k.a. 3V skiing...

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:22:08 +0100, Ace squeezed out the following:

wrote:

Talking of ice, a couple of the return runs into Méribel and Mottaret get
squeezed by netting right at their base, so everyone turns and rubs off the
snow, to reveal the icy stuff below - once you've hit this and had your
'moment' you can spend a few entertaining minutes watching others
approaching theirs... :-)

Indeed, it's those I was thinking of.

Duly noted. Not, of course, that I would take delight in other skiers'
misfortunes.

--
Colin Irvine