SkiBanter

-   Alpine Skiing (moderated) (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   atomic bindings 412 (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=8859)

Sven January 27th 04 02:54 PM

atomic bindings 412

hi,

I recently purchases the Atomic GS9.21 with Race 412 bindings.
Unfortunately there's no explanation at all included on how these bindings
are to be set/configured.

Atomic support refuses to help me out as they only want shops to make changes, but
I've had bad experiences with shops setting bindings, so I want to know
what they do and how they calculate it to avoid any injuries.

Does somebody have some kind of manual/guideline on how the 412 is to be set and
how the calculations work for these bindings?

Many thanks,
Sven.

lal_truckee January 27th 04 04:01 PM

Sven wrote:
hi,

I recently purchases the Atomic GS9.21 with Race 412 bindings.
Unfortunately there's no explanation at all included on how these bindings
are to be set/configured.

Atomic support refuses to help me out as they only want shops to make changes, but
I've had bad experiences with shops setting bindings, so I want to know
what they do and how they calculate it to avoid any injuries.

Does somebody have some kind of manual/guideline on how the 412 is to be set and
how the calculations work for these bindings?

No experience with Atomics; However the DIN reading is a standard, so
any chart will help with release settings. Leaving you without
measurements on whether the binding actually releases at the torque the
DIN setting implies - that's what you pay a shop for (but you know
that.) That leaves fore/aft setting and pre-load setting. I'd take them
into the shop at the mountain base and ask the guys where the preload
indicator is; they'd tell me. Maybe you can just walk in and ask, too?

Varanasi Benares February 3rd 04 02:10 PM

lal_truckee wrote:

Sven wrote:

hi,

I recently purchases the Atomic GS9.21 with Race 412 bindings.
Unfortunately there's no explanation at all included on how these
bindings
are to be set/configured.

[snip snip]

That leaves fore/aft setting and pre-load setting. I'd take them
into the shop at the mountain base and ask the guys where the preload
indicator is; they'd tell me. Maybe you can just walk in and ask, too?

Is the fore/aft setting mathcing the boot's center mark over the ski's
center mark? What is a preload indicator? I can't find anything akin
to this - not surprising since I don't know what I'm looking for - on my
Salomon 912s or my Look P10s.

Endlessseason February 5th 04 03:46 PM

I've used the 412's on my new Sugar Daddies while I've been waiting
for the 614's to come in. I usually ski a DIN 10 setting on other
bindings, but I noticed the 412's have not pre-released on me at a
setting of 8.5. Granted, I'm six months out from ACL replacement and
I'm not skiing quite as fast nor as strong as I usually do, but I'm
thinking they don't need to be set as high as you might normally set
your bindings. Anyone else notice this?
Another strange thing about these bindings--does anyone remember the
plastic clackers they used to sell on TV? You'd hold a grip on this
device and shake it up and down and these rotating clacker balls would
make a loud clacking noise...
Well, my 412's make a similar clacking noise when skied very fast or
during high loads. It's the weirdest thing. Anyone else notice THIS?