SkiBanter

-   Alpine Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "Freeride"? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=7374)

[email protected] January 6th 05 03:22 AM

"Freeride"?

What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway? I was looking at Salomon's
web site today. They classify the Scream 10 Pilot Hot as a "Freeride"
ski. Their new "Scrambler" is an "All-Mountain" ski.

It's been awhile since I've bought skis. I'm getting old but I still
consider myself an advanced skier comfortable in the crud, powder, ice
and bumps. But I have NO interest in rails, stairs, half-pipes or any
of that Gen-Y crap.

Any old guys out there ski these Scream Pilot 10 Hots? Are they "all
mountain" or are they for the halfpipe? Thanks.

bdubya January 6th 05 05:59 AM

On 5 Jan 2005 20:22:52 -0800, wrote:

What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway?

The mountain is high,
the valley is low,
If you're confused
on which way to go,
then you're not a skier.

HTH,
bw
(Whydja think they're called the Edgar WINTER Group, anyhow?)

Jon C January 6th 05 11:26 AM

wrote:
What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway? I was looking at Salomon's
web site today. They classify the Scream 10 Pilot Hot as a "Freeride"
ski. Their new "Scrambler" is an "All-Mountain" ski.

It's been awhile since I've bought skis. I'm getting old but I still
consider myself an advanced skier comfortable in the crud, powder, ice
and bumps. But I have NO interest in rails, stairs, half-pipes or any
of that Gen-Y crap.

Any old guys out there ski these Scream Pilot 10 Hots? Are they "all
mountain" or are they for the halfpipe? Thanks.

Free ride. You're free to ride anywhere. AFAIK freeride skis are
designed to ski anything on the mountain.. groomers, powder, trees, you
name it.

Jon C January 6th 05 11:27 AM

wrote:
What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway? I was looking at Salomon's
web site today. They classify the Scream 10 Pilot Hot as a "Freeride"
ski. Their new "Scrambler" is an "All-Mountain" ski.

It's been awhile since I've bought skis. I'm getting old but I still
consider myself an advanced skier comfortable in the crud, powder, ice
and bumps. But I have NO interest in rails, stairs, half-pipes or any
of that Gen-Y crap.

Any old guys out there ski these Scream Pilot 10 Hots? Are they "all
mountain" or are they for the halfpipe? Thanks.

Oh yeah, the skis. I haven't been on the Scream Pilot 10 Hots, but I've
been on the Scream Limited. Kickass ski and they're "all mountain" the
way "all mountain" sounds. All mountain skis seem to be carving skis..
the Screams go anywhere.

Walt January 6th 05 04:14 PM

bdubya wrote:
On 5 Jan 2005 20:22:52 -0800, wrote:

What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway?

The mountain is high,
the valley is low,
If you're confused
on which way to go,
then you're not a skier.

Just make sure you don't buy a pair of those ultra-slow Foghat skis.

--
//-Walt
//

Mary Malmros January 6th 05 05:13 PM

Walt wrote:

bdubya wrote:

On 5 Jan 2005 20:22:52 -0800, wrote:

What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway?

The mountain is high, the valley is low,
If you're confused on which way to go,
then you're not a skier.

Just make sure you don't buy a pair of those ultra-slow Foghat skis.

I always thought marketing was a load of crap and that marketing people
were a bunch of lightweights, and now I know for sure. All we'd have to
do to come up with a totally rad new marketing scheme for a ski
manufacturer would be a couple of hours in a '70s bar. I can see it
now. Our products would be divided into the following product lines:

- Freeride. See above.
- Ticket to ride. Okay, it's '60s, but...
- Magic carpet ride. Another retro '60s line, featuring Peter Max graphics.
- Freebird. Lighter included.
- Slowride. See above. For people who want "relaxed" skiing.
- Slowhand. Suggestively shaped skis.

Am I a marketing genius or what?

--
Mary Malmros

Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

J. Urrrk January 6th 05 11:51 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway?

It means "extreme," except like "extreme" used to mean
before they beat that term into meaninglessness with
overuse.

And while I'm ranting here, has anyone notice those
"Motorcyclists use Extreme Caution" signs out on the
road? WTF is "extreme caution?" And wouldn't it just
be a whole lot more cautious to drive something
sensible like a car if you were going to use "extreme
caution?"

They should have an "extreme caution" event at the
X-games. Contestants could huddle in their beds all
day while throngs of thong-clad hotties cheer and
dance to rap music from frequently chagiong camera
angles.

J. Urrrk, Radical dude.

The Real Bev January 7th 05 12:41 AM

"J. Urrrk" wrote:

wrote :
What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway?

It means "extreme," except like "extreme" used to mean
before they beat that term into meaninglessness with
overuse.

And while I'm ranting here, has anyone notice those
"Motorcyclists use Extreme Caution" signs out on the
road? WTF is "extreme caution?" And wouldn't it just
be a whole lot more cautious to drive something
sensible like a car if you were going to use "extreme
caution?"

I thought it was a simple declarative sentence extolling the virtues of
the local careful motorcyclists. What, they can't afford a lousy
comma? No wonder our schools are going to hell in a handbasket.

My favorite he Expensive metal signs -- "Share The Road" with a
picture of a bicycle. I guess that means we cyclists should get the
hell off the road if a car happens to approach. Newly painted bicycle
lanes (thick slippery paint, I hope somebody riding in the rain slips
and sues their ass (yeah, I know, it's MY ass too, but I'm willing to
spend the money)) guiding riders into the door zone and providing
NOTHING we didn't have before. I guess it was cheaper than fixing the
potholes, and I once spent half an hour pruning some city trees that
sagged down and forced riders out into traffic. Next time I do it I
should submit a bill and see if it gets paid.

They should have an "extreme caution" event at the
X-games. Contestants could huddle in their beds all
day while throngs of thong-clad hotties cheer and
dance to rap music from frequently chagiong camera
angles.

Yeah, like anybody would pay to watch that.

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bdubya January 7th 05 02:05 AM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:41:22 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote:

"J. Urrrk" wrote:

wrote :
What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway?

It means "extreme," except like "extreme" used to mean
before they beat that term into meaninglessness with
overuse.

And while I'm ranting here, has anyone notice those
"Motorcyclists use Extreme Caution" signs out on the
road? WTF is "extreme caution?" And wouldn't it just
be a whole lot more cautious to drive something
sensible like a car if you were going to use "extreme
caution?"

I thought it was a simple declarative sentence extolling the virtues of
the local careful motorcyclists. What, they can't afford a lousy
comma? No wonder our schools are going to hell in a handbasket.

It's actually a misspelling; it's supposed to be "extreme unction".

bw

The Real Bev January 7th 05 02:16 AM

wrote:

"J. Urrrk" wrote:

wrote :
What the h-- does "Freeride" MEAN, anyway?

It means "extreme," except like "extreme" used to mean
before they beat that term into meaninglessness with
overuse.

And while I'm ranting here, has anyone notice those
"Motorcyclists use Extreme Caution" signs out on the
road? WTF is "extreme caution?" And wouldn't it just
be a whole lot more cautious to drive something
sensible like a car if you were going to use "extreme
caution?"

I thought it was a simple declarative sentence extolling the virtues of
the local careful motorcyclists. What, they can't afford a lousy
comma? No wonder our schools are going to hell in a handbasket.

It's actually a misspelling; it's supposed to be "extreme unction".

Is that the last rites, or something involving slavish devotion to one's
wife?

--
Cheers,
Bev