SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cross Country skiing in Norway (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=2888)

Wout Davidse January 4th 04 06:23 PM

Cross Country skiing in Norway

I will be in Norway (Bergen) from 18 Feb - 22 Feb 04 and I'd like to
use this chance to do some Cross Country skiing from 15 - 18 Feb. Can
anyone suggest any areas?

I have never done Cross Country skiing before but I am a good Alpine
skier and Speed Skater (being Dutch...) so I think I will pick it up
fairly quickly.
What I am looking for is an area in the Oslo - Bergen - Lillehammer
triangle. Lillehammer and areas nearby seem to be an option but might
this me a bit touristy / expensive / fully booked with Danes?

I would like an area that does cater for tourists though as I have no
equipment so I'll need to rent.

Any suggestions appreciated

Wout

Terje Mathisen January 4th 04 07:05 PM

Wout Davidse wrote:

I will be in Norway (Bergen) from 18 Feb - 22 Feb 04 and I'd like to
use this chance to do some Cross Country skiing from 15 - 18 Feb. Can
anyone suggest any areas?

I have never done Cross Country skiing before but I am a good Alpine
skier and Speed Skater (being Dutch...) so I think I will pick it up
fairly quickly.

Ski skating is quite different from ice skating, mostly due to much
higher friction levels.

I.e. even when people here talk about having extremely fast skis
("rockets!"), they still stop a lot sooner than a pair of ice skates.

OTOH, ice skating is a much better preparation than downhill skiing.

What I am looking for is an area in the Oslo - Bergen - Lillehammer
triangle. Lillehammer and areas nearby seem to be an option but might
this me a bit touristy / expensive / fully booked with Danes?

If you're travelling directly to/from Bergen, then I'd rather suggest
doing some downhill/backcountry/telemark skiing somewhere on the west
coast, like Voss.

Terje
--
-