SkiBanter

-   Nordic Skiing (http://www.skibanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sharpening tips with bench grinder--tips? (http://www.skibanter.com/showthread.php?t=17865)

john October 24th 08 10:44 PM

Sharpening tips with bench grinder--tips?

I put a green carborundum wheel on my bench grinder for sharpening my
roller ski tips, I have not been crazy about the results. I tru to
sharpen then using the two different angles, but end up having mixed
results and the tips seem to get dull fairly quickly. Any hinkts?
I'm being careful to keep them from getting hot, but maybe I'm getting
the angle wrong or something.

John Forrest Tomlinson October 24th 08 10:53 PM

Sharpening tips with bench grinder--tips?

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 15:44:32 -0700 (PDT), john
wrote:

I put a green carborundum wheel on my bench grinder for sharpening my
roller ski tips, I have not been crazy about the results. I tru to
sharpen then using the two different angles, but end up having mixed
results and the tips seem to get dull fairly quickly. Any hinkts?
I'm being careful to keep them from getting hot, but maybe I'm getting
the angle wrong or something.

Maybe some useful info here?

http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bi...asp?NewsID=754

[email protected] October 25th 08 08:32 AM

Sharpening tips with bench grinder--tips?

When you say two different angles, I'm assuming you bevel them with two
equal edges. I started by using a single bevel to a point, which
worked well. Then a shop put in a double bevel, insisting that was
best, but the poles slipped constantly. So I asked them to use a
single and they put in a long one with a very short one to the point
and that's been much better. Good to have a diamond hand stone for in
between grinds.

Gene

john October 25th 08 07:33 PM

Sharpening tips with bench grinder--tips?

wrote:

I put a green carborundum wheel on my bench grinder for sharpening my
roller ski tips, I have not been crazy about the results. *I tru to
sharpen then using the two different angles, but end up having mixed
results and the tips seem to get dull fairly quickly. *Any hinkts?
I'm being careful to keep them from getting hot, but maybe I'm getting
the angle wrong or something.

Maybe some useful info here?

http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bi...asp?NewsID=754

i noticed that site, i'm doing it with my poles upside down

john October 25th 08 09:52 PM

john wrote:
I put a green carborundum wheel on my bench grinder for sharpening my
roller ski tips, I have not been crazy about the results. *I tru to
sharpen then using the two different angles, but end up having mixed
results and the tips seem to get dull fairly quickly. *Any hinkts?
I'm being careful to keep them from getting hot, but maybe I'm getting
the angle wrong or something.

I'll try that and see how it works.

[email protected] October 27th 08 11:25 PM

Sharpening tips with bench grinder--tips?

I use a dremel tool with a diamond grinding wheel on it and have had
very good results.

Chris

Vladimir October 31st 08 03:20 PM

Sharpening tips with bench grinder--tips?

a simple alternative

http://groups.google.ru/group/rec.sk...q=diamond+file